Vette servo installed

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Along with some other refreshments, this greatly improved the shifting, I recommend it highly, should have done this 150K ago.

Granted my transmission was starting to show it's stop-and-go age and the end result is pretty much the same as most other members trannys in a healthy state. The check balls were hammering into the seperator plate and the 1-2 shift was harsh when cold, along with a 2-3 flare. Also had a slight shudder and a "bump" after the 1-2 shift on occasions. I went ahead and changed the shift solenoids also since they were cheap.

I made this quick video to let you see that the vette servo isn't really that harsh of a shift, our tranny should have come with it from the factory. When you lay into it the added apply force becomes more evident but is positive in every way including longevity.

Again, this is probably the way most others trannys shift, but drastically improved mine.

I originally linked the wrong clip, here's the HD version.

[video=youtube_share;Rw1AtXsWySY]http://youtu.be/Rw1AtXsWySY[/video]

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Interesting you said about the serp belt squeal. Mine does the same thing at WOT, even after I threw on a new belt and tensioner...

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Before I changed the servo, there was just a slight squeal, barely a chirp....now it's much more pronounced.

After driving it today it's hard to tell by the vid how the shifts feel. I'd say It's not a gradual push in the seat but a quick shove, definately quicker which translates into a slightly rougher shift but not harsh by any means.

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
McGMT said:
Interesting you said about the serp belt squeal. Mine does the same thing at WOT, even after I threw on a new belt and tensioner...

My belt squeal when I get on mine now that I removed the clutch fan. Just a quick short burst and that is it, but only at WOT as well.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
Along with some other refreshments, this greatly improved the shifting, I recommend it highly, should have done this 150K ago.

Great video, you've convinced me. I just need to find the time to do it.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Turned out the belt squeal was just a worn belt but showed it's face when I upgraded the components.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
If you don't mind me asking, what did this run total? After parts and to have installed? Is there anything else you would change while your in there doing these things? Thanks,
Trent

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
03envoy said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did this run total? After parts and to have installed? Is there anything else you would change while your in there doing these things? Thanks,
Trent

When I did the vette servo, I went and changed the separator plate, both shift solenoids only because they are right there and cheap, and the 1-2 & 2-3 accumulator pistons. Total with 3 1/2 gal of fluid/filter was just under $200 If I remember correctly. I didn't add the 4th Super hold servo at the time which is pricey at around $75-80 but I would have done this with the vette servo.

I did all this myself so no labor charges.

I also would have done the TCC PWM eliminator, only about $15, which involves dropping the valve body as well, so I had to do that twice when I changed that a few months ago.

You can really get involved and change all the seals in the valves but I left that alone.....if I had more time I would have done that also.

So with the OP having the flare on the "delayed 2-3 shift, it's likely from the plate, some pistons crack so that could also be an issue....adding the vette servo just improves the holding power of the 2nd clutch pack. I would address this sooner than later to avoid any more clutch problems.

The valve body was slightly intimidating at first since I never removed one but not bad at all in the end. If you're slightly mechanically inclined it's not a difficult job.

Sorry I was referring some of this to this thread. http://gmtnation.com/f79/delayed-2-3-shift-8576/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online