Updated Part #'s for Auto Blower motor speed module

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have just installed my 2nd replacement for the Automatic Blower speed control module. It seems GM has updated the parts and corresponding part numbers. The original replacement unit was plug and play, however the new unit requires some wire cutting and splicing for the power leads to the module. The new replacement numbers are 19260762 for GM parts and 1581773 for AC Delco parts. There are several aftermarket sources available for this part through Rock Auto.

Now a chuckle for my American friends. On RockAuto, GM Parts Direct, etc. this part goes anywhere from about $47.00 to $95.00. The one I purchased here (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) was listed at Retail of 131.00 and Dealer cost of 113.00. Since it is winter here and the choice of not having a blower (remove fuse 35), opening the hood and reinstalling the fuse to let the blower run but having the battery go dead when the vehicle is off, or paying and spending an hour installing the gold plated part, made the choice fairly easy.

One consultation prize is that the parts guy says this unit is much better made than the old one it replaced, let's hope two units in less than 5 years is fairly high maintenance rate. And since I didn't bring up the subject he must have seen a fairly high rate of replacements. Nice of GM to use their customer base a source of revenue by designing MADE TO FAIL parts.

One other point of note is that a couple of years ago I did the cut and installed some cabin air filters. While I was under there I though I would replace the original filters. They were dirty enough to shake dirt out of them, glad I replaced them.

Mjpfm

Dec 28, 2012
:smile:
I just had to replace my blower module and the dealer parts manager had it so screwed up that he charged me 70.00 . the first part i purchased did not have any paperwork which he knew, and after the second visit to the dealer he repriced it. He then found the wiring paperwork in another box.
Maybe i should of bought another one for next years replacement? have a great safe new years.
Mjpfm

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mjpfm said:
:smile:
I just had to replace my blower module and the dealer parts manager had it so screwed up that he charged me 70.00 . the first part i purchased did not have any paperwork which he knew, and after the second visit to the dealer he repriced it. He then found the wiring paperwork in another box.
Maybe i should of bought another one for next years replacement? have a great safe new years.
Mjpfm

I too have thought about having a spare. Roadie put a fix on the OS to replace the FET that burns out. I may just try this for a 5.00 fix.

Did they put the new unit in or the old one and do you have the manual or automatic unit temp/blower control? If it was the old one prepare for a redo, hopefully my parts guy was right and this will be the last time. :thumbsup: This couldn't happen in the summer when you could roll down the window LOL.

Mjpfm

Dec 28, 2012
:smile: i had to install the unit. the dealer guy was not into anything. the unit i replaced was auto and it looks like all solid state.
i learn from this website to read- read and download the free manual . i'm glad i found this place. how i need to troubleshoot the other problems with this trailbrazer.
have a safe new years
Mike

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mjpfm said:
:smile: i had to install the unit. the dealer guy was not into anything. the unit i replaced was auto and it looks like all solid state.
i learn from this website to read- read and download the free manual . i'm glad i found this place. how i need to troubleshoot the other problems with this trailbrazer.
have a safe new years
Mike

thank you for the well wishes and the same to you for 2013.

When you replaced the unit did you have to spice power wires or was it just plug and play? The old unit had a red/black coming out of the module and a 3 connector plug going in. If you had to splice wires (new unit has one plug going in 5 connector and 3 wires to splice Red/Black/small purple) it would be the new unit if not then you have the older model. Another way of telling is the old unit is all black, while the new one is light gray case.

Mjpfm

Dec 28, 2012
yes it was the unit that had to be spliced-- well i just wire nutted and then taped the splice.
here is a copy of the instructions, that i located here or there.
have a great day:smile:

Attachments

• Resistor1.jpg
    Resistor1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 39

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online