Unusual Transmission Problem -Fixed

OldSVTGuy

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
First time poster on the "new" TB forums and to give everyone a heads-up to a potential problem.

The transmission on our 2004 TB with 142,000 miles has bee acting a little unusual the last two weeks or so. Primarily, the 3-4 shift seemed slow. When we retuned home from the X-mas family trip, I decided to check the fluid level. I could not get an accurate reading but it appeared about 3 quarts high. Next day, I drained some out but still could not get an accurate reading on the dipstick. I took enough out that it would no longer engage but STILL could not get a good reading on the dipstick.

Expecting the worst, I dropped the pan and, low and behold, the filter was laying in the pan. I tried to put it back up but found the seal was very loose and a small nudge would knock it down again. Ironically, I had only changed that seal for the first time this past summer during a flush as the old one was getting hard. Fortunately, I kept the old seals from previous filter changes and found one that fit very snugly. By the way, a pilot bearing puller works very nicely to pull the old seal. I had to very firmly shove the filter back up into the new seal. New ATF and she shifts like she used to.

So now I will make a mental note to always see how the seal fits on the filter neck. Just passing the experience on for your info.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Which filter kit did you use that came with the bad seal? Let us know so we know to steer clear of that brand.

Thanks!

OldSVTGuy

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
I think it was a Purolator but I have used them before, just not the seal as I kept using the OEM one that was up there. Who knows, maybe they changed seal suppliers? I know that I will always check fitness from now on if I change the seal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online