Ultra-Gauge

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
As seen on their web-site: UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

My situation with my truck misfiring and what not http://gmtnation.com/f87/bad-day-my-canyon-7156/#post129822 has lead me to the conclusion I need onboard diagnostics equipment. Over on 355 nation several members are using the Ultra-guage. I have never seen someone here with one, and a search here for Ultra-Gauge revealed no useful information. I know you all favor the Scanguage II but I don't have that kind of cash at the moment. The Ultra-Guage seems to do everything that a Scanguage would so I went ahead and ordered one. I will post a review here when I receive it in the mail (2-3 days).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks good. Be a nice cheaper option than the scangauge. I think the display looks nicer too.

floridarv

Mar 30, 2013
I have one and posted it earlier. Works good and is nice and small.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
if you have an android phone seems like its basically a version of torque

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
if you have an android phone seems like its basically a version of torque

I have an iPhone, and I thought about getting that set up with an app, but I wanted something I could mount permanently in the truck. I also though about laptop software, but again, it wouldn't be there all the time.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
This looks cool. I'm assuming it allows you to clear codes also, but it doesn't positively say that anywhere on the website. It shows that it will read DTCs but I guess it probably clears them too, right?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
willn513 said:
This looks cool. I'm assuming it allows you to clear codes also, but it doesn't positively say that anywhere on the website. It shows that it will read DTCs but I guess it probably clears them too, right?

If you click on the trouble codes link on the website it give info on it and the last part states
"Check Engine Light on?
No problem !
UltraGauge can also turn off that annoying check engine light !"

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Phantom said:
If you click on the trouble codes link on the website it give info on it and the last part states
"Check Engine Light on?
No problem !
UltraGauge can also turn off that annoying check engine light !"

Thank you! I didn't see that in my thorough reading (skimming) of the description...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I think this is a tool my husband and I should invest in for both trucks, definitely cheaper than a scangauge. I don't mind using the torque app but where this can be permanently mounted some where in the vehicles makes for easier access and usage on our part. Plus with the lack of service from our stoopid cell phone provider, using the torque app on our phones could be a possible PITA situation.

floridarv

Mar 30, 2013
Beside being able to clear the codes it will show pedning codes and you can set to to alarm if a code is pending.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Torque can't clear codes, correct?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Yes it does, it does pretty much everything the ultra gauge does, I think the main difference is that Torque is in application form, whereas the ultra gauge is obviously not. I'm not sure about other phones, but I can't run torque and then get a phone call or text without interference, which would make the ultra gauge functionality a lot better for me anyways. I think with Ultra gauge and torque, it really comes down to personal preference since they both do just about the same thing, although the code alarm sounds pretty cool!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
Plus with the lack of service from our stoopid cell phone provider, using the torque app on our phones could be a possible PITA situation.

Why is that? Torque uses Bluetooth, so lack of service or signal has nothing to do with using the app. :smile:

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
I have one and it's great. It's a cheaper version of the scan gauge. I've had it for a year and half now. We love it. It's how we stay on top of fuel consumption. The only thing I can't find in the huge amount of things it can display is the transmission temp that the scan gauge can tell me.

I'd use an app, but my iphone is my music box and always run traspter while driving so I need a separate device.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Matt said:
Why is that? Torque uses Bluetooth, so lack of service or signal has nothing to do with using the app. :smile:

I have a no contract provider so my bluetooth isn't reliable. I cannot use bluetooth with any other services(phone calls, data, text)...You gotta pay to play :yes:

Mat and I have the same phones and provider so I couldn't just use his phone, and even with the phones unlocked/jail broken it won't work...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
I have a no contract provider so my bluetooth isn't reliable. I cannot use bluetooth with any other services(phone calls, data, text)...You gotta pay to play :yes:

Mat and I have the same phones and provider so I couldn't just use his phone, and even with the phones unlocked/jail broken it won't work...

AFAIK, it doesn't work like that. Bluetooth is a built in, non paid phone function, essentially a wireless connection to another device, be it the OBDII reader or a set of headphones. Your service provider has nothing to do with it.

Don't do anything until the May meet and I'll hook my reader up to your smartphone. :smile:

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Voymom said:

Just an idea... The jail break might be the source of the problem. Not 100% certain, though.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Matt said:
AFAIK, it doesn't work like that. Bluetooth is a built in, non paid phone function, essentially a wireless connection to another device, be it the OBDII reader or a set of headphones. Your service provider has nothing to do with it.

Don't do anything until the May meet and I'll hook my reader up to your smartphone. :smile:

I know I don't have to pay for the bluetooth service, but it has an issue pairing and connecting to other bluetooth components. I can't bluetooth photo's to my computer anymore reliably. I actually think it has something to do with an app that came with my rooting rom/software. It worked fine until we disabled open garden wifi tethering that came with the rom. I can wait until May/June for the meet, I don't have any codes or stored codes but I'm sure we can make something happen for testing purposes :biggrin:

Conner299 said:
Just an idea... The jail break might be the source of the problem. Not 100% certain, though.

I'm also thinking this is the issue since my non wifi tablet seems to have reliability issues as well since we disabled the above mentioned application. I'm frustrated beyond hell, but I have a feeling it is just owner failure and not the devices fault. I'm not all that tech savvy so I just go around the problem. Their cheap "smartphones" anyways.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Hey voymom what phone model do you have and wich ROM did you boot??

Assuming you obviously have android let me know phone model I'll get you 100% working/tested ROM

I've been going through ROMs and so far I have to choose from a non glitchy camera or non existing Bluetooth. I'll stick to glitch camera as it only glitches in panorama mode

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jeffro312 said:
Hey voymom what phone model do you have and wich ROM did you boot??

Assuming you obviously have android let me know phone model I'll get you 100% working/tested ROM

I've been going through ROMs and so far I have to choose from a non glitchy camera or non existing Bluetooth. I'll stick to glitch camera as it only glitches in panorama mode

Yeah Mat's camera doesn't work with the ROM....We have the boost mobile phone Ultra Transform I believe lol and it is the transformers Rom, Mat will have to elaborate on this since he was the one who did it. It is Android, my tablet is also android.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
for anyone that has this, how accurate is the AVG MPG? Torque is way tf off. I've actually considered adding DIC for this specific function.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
DDonnie said:
for anyone that has this, how accurate is the AVG MPG? Torque is way tf off. I've actually considered adding DIC for this specific function.

DIC isn't any better....the gauges are rarely accurate. Try Fuelly, it works the best for us.

floridarv

Mar 30, 2013
I hope someone gets one of these so they can let me know what is the correct readings for a lot of the gauges that are available.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:
Yeah Mat's camera doesn't work with the ROM....We have the boost mobile phone Transform Ultra I believe lol and it is the transformers Rom, Mat will have to elaborate on this since he was the one who did it. It is Android, my tablet is also android.

We have the Megatron Rom on our phones she has the purple and pink rom and i have the regular one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online