Turbo Or Supercharger?

familywagon12

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I was thinking about putting a remote mount trubo on my envoy but idk if that would be better or running a supercharger, what are your thoughts?:undecided::confused:

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
selling the envoy buying a ss then putting a supercharger on that :wink:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
You can get an off the shelf supercharger for the 5.3 this afternoon.

familywagon12

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Do the TBSS come with a 3rd row seat? If not theres no way I couldnt do that due to haveing kids. The super charger will fit a 4.2 envoy?

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
please fill out what kinda vehicle you have for future reference just to make it easier for every one else :thumbsup:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
familywagon12 said:
I was thinking about putting a remote mount trubo on my envoy but idk if that would be better or running a supercharger, what are your thoughts?:undecided::confused:

Either one will be a custom job. You'd need pretty advanced fabrication skills and/or muy, muy dinero.

Jkust said:
You can get an off the shelf supercharger for the 5.3 this afternoon.

Agreed, if you want an Envoy XL with forced induction, it'd be much cheaper and easier to trade yours in on a V8 model and start from there

Black_tb said:
please fill out what kinda vehicle you have for future reference just to make it easier for every one else :thumbsup:
familywagon12 said:
Sorry about that folks, its an 03 envoy sle xl inline 6 193,xxx on it
:eek:

Actually he meant fill it out in your profile so it shows up on the left side or the screen.:thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
What is the reason for a turbo or supercharger?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
5 kids soon. I wonder if you can supercharge a Honda Odyssey? I don't think i'd be supercharging anything with that much wear and tear anyway. You are definitly a candidate for something bigger than a 370. The 5.3 is made to add serious mods to while the I6 is substantially more challenging and that is really putting it lightly. There's a handful of started threads asking this same question.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You would likely need to rebuild the trans first to handle the power and the fact it has that many miles on it.

The 8.6" rear in the Xl will handle more power than the SWB models with the 8.0" rear but I don't know how much the 8.6 can take. Seems anyone who added forced induction of somesort to the 8.0 blew it apart so would you risk a 8.6?

The popular mod is the 9.5" 14-bolt from the SS when forced induction is added.

Sounds like you should be looking at the Escalade with the 403 HP 6.2L. :drooling:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
I am in the process of turbo charging my 4.2 i6 and let me tell you...the whole damn thing is a custom fabrication job that requires $2000+ alone without the price of the turbo (I paid around $1500 for that too) and there was a good additional $900+ in surprise parts I didnt figure on when I started and you need a new computer system or a standalone. I am using an 06 TB I had tuned for boost and I needed a whole new wiring harness / injectors / 93 octane / transmission kit / etc... for the engine not to mention all the custom fabbing I need to do this winter for piping and relocating the battery list goes on :smile:

For me its worth it because I have all ready put so much into this car (150,xxx mi) with easily 6 grand in mods. I am doing it to be unique (I do not believe there is a turbo envoy out there yet?)

but If you want something that can be done much more easily trade in for a V8 to supercharge or get an SS :smile: just my :twocents:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I am in the process of turbo charging my 4.2 i6 :twocents:

Are you going to upgrade the rear or have you already done this? I member on the OS my the name of Travis turbocharged his SWB TB and while it did haul arse, the tranny and the rear went in a short order.

Can't wait till you get it finished, looking forward to some vids. :thumbsup: Good luck with it.

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I am in the process of turbo charging my 4.2 i6

What city do you live near? I'm in Philly and go to Pittsburgh a few times a year. I definitely gotta see this!:wootwoot:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
mubai said:
What city do you live near? I'm in Philly and go to Pittsburgh a few times a year. I definitely gotta see this!:wootwoot:

Haha definitely when I am done next spring/summer I am about 25 minutes south of Erie. I can go for a trip to pitt!

gmcman said:
Are you going to upgrade the rear or have you already done this? I member on the OS my the name of Travis turbocharged his SWB TB and while it did haul arse, the tranny and the rear went in a short order.
Can't wait till you get it finished, looking forward to some vids. :thumbsup: Good luck with it.

thanks ME TOO ! thanks for the heads up! yeah the rear end issue was brought to my attention awhile ago by some fellow members and I have considered buying an Eaton GM 9.5 14 bolt posi for the 3.42's and I have already done some transmission upgrades with a kit and will definitely keep an eye out for a spare tranny that I can rebuild and beef up to put in when $hit hits the fan with the stock one haha. right now money is the main issue and I am buying all the parts one at a time as well as I can. so I might turbo it and take it easy until I can afford to pick up the posi. :thumbsup:

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Haha definitely when I am done next spring/summer I am about 25 minutes south of Erie. I can go for a trip to pitt!
:offtopic:
Dude!!!! I just went through your profile photos, you are a NUT!!! Racing Seats, NOS, gauges in the glove compartment, big system...list goes on. The is the most suped up Envoy I've ever seen!!! I love the headlights, they look awesome! Let me know if you posted a how to...

Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like you need to buy my suburban, 3rd row seating and 450 lb ft of torque!

Why do you want the extra power? Go-fast or towing?

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
Sounds like you need to buy my suburban, 3rd row seating and 450 lb ft of torque!

Why do you want the extra power? Go-fast or towing?

I think im going to have to second this idea

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Love those Suburbans.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online