Trying to Wire something to reverse light.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Im trying to add a bright white LED bar under the lift gate. But i want to it be able to turn on as soon as i shift into reverse. Is there a schematics to show me how to do this? or what wires i would have to splice?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Just use a tester to find the reverse wire. I did the same to add a cheap $3 strip for my brake lights.

0710122119.jpg

OK I'm 1/2 drunk and I found this :raspberry: The middle wire is the reverse light. (the pic is showing how to do Quad tail/turns)

32c8c56a.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you aren't using a 7-pin trailer connector, you can splice onto the light GREEN wire on the vehicle side harness. Easier than going into your tail light assemblies, and it's separately fused by underhood fuse #4.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks for responding guys. Its finals week and i havent been on often. The bar i am trying to wire on the reverse is a LED Scanner Bar. ORACLE LED Scanners Is this possible? It has a negative and positive wire. I can do simple wiring i just need a push in the right direction. Thank you.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
As I said, tap onto the light green wire on the back of the 7-pin trailer receptacle. That's the positive LED wire. Negative is ground - almost always a black wire or you can easily find a piece of the frame down there.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
kjkim93 said:
Thanks for responding guys. Its finals week and i havent been on often. The bar i am trying to wire on the reverse is a LED Scanner Bar. ORACLE LED Scanners Is this possible? It has a negative and positive wire. I can do simple wiring i just need a push in the right direction. Thank you.

49" Fire and ice on mine-does brakes, turn, parking and reverse lights.
TRIMandtiretoballjointheight003.jpg

TRIMandtiretoballjointheight001.jpg

TRIMandtiretoballjointheight002.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
kjkim93 said:

WARNING!!!
Popo might not
like the flashing lights​

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Short Bus said:
WARNING!!!
Popo might not
like the flashing lights​

Lol i know. I am also going to wire up the control box and leave it on the solid white color. My dad can not see in the dark when he reverses with my car. Trying to help him out a little bit

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
the roadie said:
As I said, tap onto the light green wire on the back of the 7-pin trailer receptacle. That's the positive LED wire. Negative is ground - almost always a black wire or you can easily find a piece of the frame down there.

Hey Roadie, thanks for the above info on the green wire, wanting to install reverse lights on my new trailer..

Next question is, I have searched the internet for the 7 pin wiring diagram for the GMT, and I can find different diagrams, but they all seem to have different pin out locations. Is there a diagram around that for sure shows our GMT Pin out locations??

I am mainly after the reverse wire, and which pin is the constant feed. Wanting to hook my trailer running lights up thru a relay so that they are always on when the vehicle is turned on.

Now I need to search for a good place to get a bar style, bright as hell, reverse light, to mount to the trailer.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks for that, also modified my post above with an additional thing.

Now to try to search the old site. They found all my shills.. LOL

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Was easier to search the net for Bargman. Anyways, the images found cleared up what I was confused about. I am just not use to seeing the center pin being the reverse lights. Most trailers I pull (read: Semi Trailers), the center pin is the Aux 12V, usually for the ABS system.

Thanks again roadie!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online