Trying to replace rear springs, lower shock disconnected, but axle won't lower

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I lower the jack, but the axle doesn't follow. Did i miss dis-connecting something? Online manual just says to remove lower shock bolt.

Working on it right now.

Thanks if you know.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Did you take off BOTH lower shock bolts? If not, the anti-sway bar is transferring force from the other side. You have to lower both sides at the same time.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
the roadie said:
Did you take off BOTH lower shock bolts? If not, the anti-sway bar is transferring force from the other side. You have to lower both sides at the same time.

Well bless you for being on-line, sir! Um, no is the short answer, of course.

I'll do that.

Many thanks!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
The rear of the truck on jack stands, support the axle with the jack under the pumpkin. Remove both lower strut bolts and the axle will come down, provided the tires are off :raspberry:. Watch your break lines so they don't get stretched to far.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
^^ matt knows what he is talking about....we lowered my envoy and changed his whole rearend in his driveway. I wouldn't just trust anyone to work on my truck...

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Regulator said:
The rear of the truck on jack stands, support the axle with the jack under the pumpkin. Remove both lower strut bolts and the axle will come down, provided the tires are off :raspberry:. Watch your break lines so they don't get stretched to far.

It looks like the upper control arm is hanging up on the stabilizer bar link on the right side.

Tires are off.

axle has come down, but I guess I'm thinking the springs will just kind of fall out at that point.

And on the shocks, there is a blue band that looks like it is keeping them compressed. Do I cut that and then install them?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
6716 said:
It looks like the upper control arm is hanging up on the stabilizer bar link on the right side.

Tires are off.

axle has come down, but I guess I'm thinking the springs will just kind of fall out at that point.

And on the shocks, there is a blue band that looks like it is keeping them compressed. Do I cut that and then install them?

But the springs haven't fallen out. They seem rather secure in there yet.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Mine didn't just fall out , I kicked it with my foot and they came out. The guy next door stuck a 2 by 4 above the axle and stood on it and pulled is out.

Stomped not kicked
and remember the brake lines like'' Regulator'' said.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
And the blue band on the new shocks ,I cut it then put the top bolt in and slowly jack up the axle till the bottom hole lines up . then stick a bolt in. That how I did mine .

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My springs never fell out either when I was messing around under there replacing shocks. When I swapped my rear axle I disconnected the shocks, dropped the axle as far as it would go, then just reached under there and pulled the springs out by hand.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Well, I'm going to score that one a victory even though I didn't get the springs replaced.

I did get new shocks installed.

And I broke in the new 50-250 torque wrench and jack stands, and got the truck put back together and checked out on a test drive ... now I can hardly wait to get the new struts done Friday.

As far as I can tell, the driver's side upper control arm was hanging up on the stabilizer bar link, right where it ties back into the frame. I had stabilizer bar bushings and links on the suspension re-work list, anyway, so I figure I'll try for the springs a second time when I have the links off. And if it still doesn't work then, maybe I'll do control arms and try it a third time.

Thanks everybody for chiming in. Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Sorry, I had to work this evening and wasn't able to post any earlier.

TBH, I have not had a rear sway bar link on my truck for years. You should have just needed to put some upwards pressure onto the springs with a prybar and they would have popped out. You could always remove the bolt on the axle side of the track bar? (long solid strait bar mounting on the rear of the axle{I have had a few beers and am drawing a blank}). That may give you a little bit more down travel on the axle.

Glad you are having success with the rear, the front is a whole new animal. It is fairly easy to do the majority of the work, and there are some good how to's available on how to tear it all down. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask on here or shoot me a PM and I will be glad to share my cell with you and help talk you through it. Be very very very very (do you get the point) with the spring compressors. I have seen them come apart and the results are frightening. I would suggest you do some advance research and stop in a few tire/suspension shops and see if the will do the strut replacement for you if you bring the strut tower in to them. Monroe does it for me here in town for $20 for the pair of them.

Good luck, it is a great feeling when you can do the work on your own and save a lot of money.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Strut and Shock Install - Truck Test Digest

I didn't watch the vids But here they are.

[video=youtube;DIWZYGu-3a8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWZYGu-3a8[/video]

[video=youtube;IFIyueQlPR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIyueQlPR0[/video]

Don't know if it is someone on here ,and there is lots more on you tube.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to start a new thread on the front end work.

The thing I was most concerned with on the rear springs was using some amount of force to get them OUT ... because then I would be more worried about what it would take to get the new ones IN, and I cannot afford to have the truck off the road.

I'm going to take another run at that work ... after front end work, fan clutch (I think), squeaky pulleys, and the fuel gauge sending unit.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Finally swapped out the rear springs. Finally warm enough for a fair-weather mechanic to get back out there.

The left side upper control arm still was hitting the top of the stabilizer bar link, so I took the bolt out where the control arm meets the axle.

That let me lower the axle enough for the springs to come out pretty easily.

I think I added an inch in height. Test drive seems smoother.

Have to wonder if something isn't quite right with the bit welded onto the frame that the end link bolts through.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online