NEED HELP Trying to locate front OE Z55 strut

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
My 2012 Yukon XL Denali has I believe the OE front strut cartridges, currently at 120K miles and I want to replace them.

I cannot locate the front OE Z55 struts, even the dealer is giving me what seems to be a non-Z55 part and they do show my VIN as having the Z55 and electronically controlled suspension.

The part # they give me is 19420494

This is a pic of my front strut cartridge, not sure why this is a big mystery unless I'm missing something. There are many of these shocks still avail, AC Delco 580-3xx or 580-4xx, fill in the last 2 numbers.

Mine is AWD with 22" OE wheels.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Strut-1.jpg

Strut-2.jpg

RDO-1.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I did a lot of research on the Z55 suspension... for the rear. Can't help you in the front.

Not sure if Arnott Industries can help?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Not sure if Arnott Industries can help?

I will double check with them on Monday, but I believe they don't work with the Z55 system.

They have the connector, but that's just to fool the system via a resistor inside the shock.

I definitely want to try to keep the Z55 setup working.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
RA shows Sachs available for the Z55:

However, this seems to be the same info as the thread you're in at the Tahoe/Yukon forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
However, this seems to be the same info as the thread you're in at the Tahoe/Yukon forum.
Yes, I wanted to also ask here to increase my chances of figuring this out..:thumbsup:

There's many of these BWI OE struts avail but none match up to my vehicle which is odd.

I should have asked here first...:cry: ..lol.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If these are the same thing as what's in my Sierra (early 'selective' or 'magnetic' ride control, where there's a button on the dash to control it (it electrically 'excites' the ferrous material in the shock to make it firmer)... it may be an expensive proposition to find replacements.

(on edit: mine uses RPO 'ZX3' to signify the selective ride control option; it was mandatory on the Qsteer trucks).

The OEM for mine, new... are $500 / ea (so, $2000 for all 4 corners). Salvage yards sell them for about $250 or so. And those prices were pre-Covid. I haven't looked lately, but I bet they're more now. The OEMs have been discontinued for some time now; what's left is NOS, with no aftermarket option.

A previous owner installed air helper bags on the rear, so I haven't really worried about the rear shocks. When I purchased the truck, I tested the 'ride control' to see if the shocks still worked -- they did, but just barely. So when I redid my front suspension (as we always have to do), I just went with cheap-@ss Monroe Selects for the fronts. And the 'idiot' light in the cluster has never activated afterward, to indicate a problem (but nor have I pushed the selector button to test it, either). I did fasten the connectors to the fronts, since they had the same bayonet-type stud up top, but they fell off soon afterward, so... 🤷‍♂️ LOL

The rears are still the OEM, but I'll replace them at some point, probably with Bilstein 5100s or similar. The truck has 240K on it now, so I can more or less guarantee the rears are shot. But the truck is level, and it doesn't squat when I hook the trailer up (I do use a WDH). I only have about 5-10 PSI in the rear bags, which is what's called for when they're not needed.

Finally, my Sierra has the HD / torsion bar front suspension, along with the old recirculating ball steering, so I'm not expecting anything approaching the ride in a newer truck. What makes more of a difference there for me is the front suspension, from what I've experienced in both 1500HDs I've owned. The first one rode 'new' after I finished with it, and I expect the current one will, after I replace the LBJs and bushings in the LCAs (after the Envoy leaves; they're not on their last legs yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
If these are the same thing as what's in my Sierra (early 'selective' or 'magnetic' ride control, where there's a button on the dash to control it (it electrically 'excites' the ferrous material in the shock to make it firmer)... it may be an expensive proposition to find replacements

No, mine is Z55, no manual selection. Computer controls damping based on road condition and when cornering.

They are avail but looking to get OE but if it comes down to it, Sachs may be the only option..not sure.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for that @mrrsm , the only part I need is the strut cartridge and going for a new unit, rest of my hardware is good but also replacing the cover with a new one.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online