troubles pulled a p0172 code...

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
The other week I was driving down the interstate and going about 80 let go the gas and it fell on its face and jeering really bad and I'd hit the gas and it would just get deceleration would have to pull over shut it off and restart and drive it now I'll drive it and it will cut out or something. And I let off the gas and the nose drops as if I were going 70 in 1st gear and same when I hit the gas. I pulled the fuel filter off tonight and it is a little hard to blow through so I am going to get a new one tomorrow... i don't have scan tools or anything to use to see how everything is running... anyone out there able to help out??? Oh and I get horrible mug thanks in advance!
Shane

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Start with cleaning your throttle body.

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I cleaned it out about a year ago you guys think it would be dirty already?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Either disconnect the battery or the fuses. If you still have the issue after cleaning the TB I would also clean the MAF.

Please complete your vehicle profile so that we can see what we are trying to work on, there are a few minors changes between certain years.

Reactions: Mounce

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Do I clean the the same way as I clean the TB? I put in a fuel filter and on sensor today it was on my way back from work less of a trip and it didn't do anything but did notice my failure to do my air filter got one of those tonight and going to clean everything and put the filter in tomorrow I really appreciate the help and input I will finish my profile for everyone

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Search YouTube for "how to clean MAF sensor" I personally have no experience with a MAF sensor, just know what it looks like.. but it should be pretty simple, just gotta use the right stuff to keep from damaging it, I hear they're delicate.

Reactions: djthumper

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
My 2003 TB does not have a MAF sensor. I think that I read that
they did not show up until 2005/6.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Texan said:
My 2003 TB does not have a MAF sensor. I think that I read that
they did not show up until 2005/6.
You're right.

So, OP has an 03? If so, no MAF for you bud. I was just going by what Thumper said lol.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Right, the motors are interchangeable between the different TB/Envoy cousins.

For the right years, at least.

Beware of poor wording in this post lol

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
p0172 is technically a MAF/MAP error code 03 actually have a MAP in the intake hose. That is what is what I get for answering from work.

Reactions: Mounce

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
So map is what might be causing it? I'm not real familiar with sensors and what not had a family lost time to work on anything sorry guys for sounding like I know nothing lol

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The MAP Sensor is on the back of the engine after the TB. You could also check the IAT.

2008-09-23_161224_2008-09-23_140824.png

Reactions: Texan

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Shouldn't have any problems out of the throttle body then as long as it was cleaned. Now drive it a few days and see if your issue is still there.

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I took it for a drive the cutting out is gone but the no power is still there I got some power back but still a dog do you think it might have to do with the MAP?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can get MAP cleaner, it may have crap that was passed on by the TB.

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Well as of right now the code is off cleaned the map sensor but I don't drive the car that often due to the enormous lack of power it has still unsure of what that might be any guesses?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
If you don't have a back pressure tester you can remove the o2 sensor at the manifold and go for a ride to see if the power comes back.

Reactions: djthumper

Pau Hana

Mar 13, 2015
03luvvoy said:
That's what I have been told but it doesn't smell...
A clogged cat doesn't necessarily smell. The putrid smell form a cat is a chemical offgassing of the substrate material.

If the substrate material is physically broken and not allowing exhaust gases to pass, you'll have (most likely) no smell, somewhat decent idle, and zero power at anything above a crawl.

Reactions: MAY03LT

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
No I have not changed out the plugs not gunna lie I haven't been good with all the preventative maintenance... i don't think I have had any thermostat problems that I know of and haven't thrown that code at all. I have changed the o2 sensor in the manifold and didn't even think about takin it for a ride

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My05Trailblazer

Members Online