Transmission pan removal 5.3L

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
Hey guys,
Anybody got any tricks-of-the-trade to removing the exhaust bolts so the tranny pan can be removed? Well thought GM, well thought!
The truck is an 04 and I don't think the exhaust has ever been touched, I heated the bolts and tried to remove them but got a little nervous as they weren't budging, I've already broke one bolt around the pan and not looking forward to fixing it let alone trying to fix one of the exhaust bolts if they were to break, especially where they're located.
Is this something best handled at the garage? at least if they break it, they have to fix it, I have an electric impact gun but afraid to crank it up.
Thanks

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I can't remember from when I was under mine, but can you use a pry bar and push the exhaust out of the way or use a ratchet strap to pull it aside enough to do it? You may be able to remove the rubber hangers from the rear and middle and that may allow more movement. I had to replace the pin for the shift cable but that was a couple of years ago so I haven't been under there in a while.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I have the setup with my Sierra. It's painful. I decided not to attempt it. I bit the bullet and paid a local shop $100 to do it for me. He normally charged $200 but I explained the situation, he let me bring my fluid and filter in. It was well worth $100.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
:confused: I'd think my 07.5 Silverado would be the same as an 08 Sierra, and I didn't find dropping the transmission pan all that hard. Took a little bit of wiggling to get the pan out of there, but it dropped and went back up without screwing around with the exhaust at all.

On the GMT360/GMT370 platform maybe there isn't as much room, not sure how the pipe is routed in comparison to the full size.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't have to remove the exhaust when I did it on my '06 9-7x 5.3 but I think I did have to tilt the pan in front to make it clear it. It would normally be a mess doing that but I emptied the pan using the flushing method as explained in this video by @MAY03LT

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
Thanks guys,
Interesting, I tried to remove it once, hence the broken bolt. And yes it was messy tilting it every which way I could and still I couldn't get it to go low enough to clear the 1st and 2nd actuator dome inside the tranny, pan kept hitting the cross member for the exhaust.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Makes me wonder about small variations in different years (or just clearance tolerances) that screw some people over when they're on the tighter end of things.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I can't get them hot enough with what I have here at home to get them loose. At work I hit them with oxy/acetylene until they glow and hit them with an impact while they are glowing. That's for the manifold to y pipe bolts as well as y pipe to cat bolts too. On a scale of 1-10 I say they suck pretty bad. Wish I knew a way to snake that thing out but I think I can count the number of TBs with the 5.3 that I've worked on with three fingers.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I got my deep pan out of my 5.3L w/o dropping the Y-pipe - it wasn't that bad. Putting it back in may prove a challenge. Also, I did have the drain bolt in my pan, and was able to get most of the fluid out before I twisted & turned to get it out.

Unfortunately, like the OP, I broke one of the pan bolts, and I'm *still* trying to get it out -it's the one in the back corner by the shift linkage, and the Y-pipe is right underneath it. Hoping I can get it out w/o dropping the pipe. Looking like it's going to be either helicoil or a tap for an oversized bolt, at this point.

BTW, after the Y, the exhaust goes 'single' down the passenger side, and there's a 3-bolt flange connecting the Y-pipe to the front muffler inlet about a foot south of the tranny. If I have to bite the bullet and drop the Y, that's the way I'm going first - should be easier to get out and I only need to gain a couple of inches (only 3 bolts, and the exhaust should (?) be a little cooler there than compared to the manifold area, hopefully making the bolts easier to remove - lots more room to work back there, too) No messing w/ the manifold or cats, that way.

Mine is an '03 LWB, btw - I don't know what the exhaust arrangement is like under the SWB. I know that's one big-@ss muffler underneath my Voy.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
The original pan has a recessed "hump" on the end that's over the exhaust crossover. As I recall, this hump allowed me to remove & re-install the pan without fussing with the exhaust.

Aftermarket pans without this hump will not fit. Trust me, I tried it.

Earlier years had a drain plug in them. Draining it first allows you the pan down without giving yourself and the exhaust pipe a trans fluid bath.

If your pan doesn't have a drain plug, get a B&M pan plug kit and install it. Thank me later :biggrin:

pan_zpslfohz8hd.jpg

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
BTW, after the Y, the exhaust goes 'single' down the passenger side, and there's a 3-bolt flange connecting the Y-pipe to the front muffler inlet about a foot south of the tranny. If I have to bite the bullet and drop the Y, that's the way I'm going first - should be easier to get out and I only need to gain a couple of inches (only 3 bolts, and the exhaust should (?) be a little cooler there than compared to the manifold area, hopefully making the bolts easier to remove - lots more room to work back there, too) No messing w/ the manifold or cats, that way.

Tried that with my first attempt, no dice, although mine only had 2 bolts. Still couldn't get it. Went out and had another look today, did some measuring. looks as though it only has to drop 1/2" to 3/4". Only way I can see is to remove the three bolts in front of the cat at the manifold on the passengers side. Looks as though I will be taking it to a local shop.:hopeless: When I finally get it off, I will definitely be installing a drain plug.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macicg65

Members Online