Transfer Case Neutral not engaging

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
For the last few years after I use 4wd more often then not the next time I start the truck and the TCCM wakes it thinks it is neutral and will blink until I put the trans. in neutral so it can "switch" to 2 hi.

I tried put it actually in neutral and it switches and tells me it has but it does not fully go into it.

its makes a terrible noise if you do what the manual says to do and do it with the engine running and test with drive and reverse (so I do not do that). Some times it will roll in park sometimes it does not. The other other 4 ranges work fine. The fluid has 30-40K on it.

Ideas?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
check your disconnect, probably needs to be lubed

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
The front axle disconnect? I have never touched that in 10 years probably that could use some TLC. If that is hanging up would that cause TC range issues?

Maybe tomorrow I will jack the front of the truck and spin the front tires to see if they are locking/unlocking freely.

Thanks

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
The axle disconnect seems to working freely.

With both front wheels off the ground....
2hi - front drive shaft does not move and left and right wheels are not locked (when I hand turn them)
Auto - Left and right are not locked but drive shaft spins
4hi - left and right are locked and shaft spins

Both rears off the ground trans in neutral
Front drive shaft turns with rear wheels in all but 2 hi

I'm confused because I thought in Auto the front axle are locked but the transfer case is in 2hi

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online