tranny mods

leffty

Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Is there an upgraded tranny for the trailblazer? When climbing a hill the rpms jump up about 300 rpms. Is that the TC locking up or am I wrong in thinking that the trans ia a 3 speed w/overdrive. New to this platform and not real sure exactly what they are and what was available from the factory

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
When asking a technical question, filling out the profile with vehicle information is always helpful. :nono:

You did say trailblazer, so I am going with the assumption that you have a 2002, or newer, with an in-line 6 motor.

These trucks have a 4 speed transmission (the 4th being an over-drive).

I suspect the increase in rpm, that you are seeing, is the transmission downshifting into 3rd gear, if the rpms go down when you reach the top of the hill, the transmission is up-shifting into 4th.

leffty

Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Its an 04 I6 with 373 gears. At hyw speed on a hill it drops about 300 rpms or so when just trying to maintain speed. Its not a hard or contant rise in rpms it kinda floats for a lack of a better word. I can then drop the trans into third and it down shifts then around 500 rpms

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
If you think it is in 4th gear, and you are at cruising speed, and the rpms drop by a few hundred, it's probably the torque converter clutch locking up, as you suspect

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online