Trailblazer Rattling Noise

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Ok, I think I will replace the Upstream 02 Sensor and go from there...but say the 02 Sensor is the culprit behind the slightly poor MPG and engine performance...

What do I make of the Rattle in my video?...which I haven't heard the noise since the video by the way :eyebrowhuh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't recognize the noise. But it's not doing it anymore so it would be near impossible now to pinpoint. Maybe it was a loose baffle in the muffler.

Reactions: RTTBLT1

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I didn't recognize the noise. But it's not doing it anymore so it would be near impossible now to pinpoint. Maybe it was a loose baffle in the muffler.

Ok, i was going to do the welding glove trick on it but never got the chance. So I figured I would get a Back Pressure Test...and it saved from purchasing a unneeded Cat.

On the 02 Sensors...I've always heard the Downstream 02 Sensor never needs replaced unless it's throwing a code or when replacing the Cat.

So tonight I think I will order a new AC Delco Upstream 02 Sensor and go from there. Update to come!

Thanks, everyone!

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Well....I have a GoPro but need to machine a mount to do a proper road test to get all the noises. For the time being, I threw the camera under the truck and gave it a little throttle in both drive and reverse with the brakes applied. Sounds a little abusive....but it replicates one of the sounds I hear. That sound is the loud metallic ping/pop. I still don't think it's in the exhaust....perhaps rear brakes or link arms??????. Dunno.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like the drive shaft getting pinged. Did you check the u-joints?

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I'm going to do a set of U Joint's Saturday and check the difference. Something I noticed Friday night has me wondering. Past couple of weeks I haven't done any highway driving. So I never get much past 50mph. Closer to 50 I can hear my exhaust rattle when I'm cruising or adding power. . It's much worse at 70....and doesn't matter if I'm in D or 3rd gear either. As soon as I let off the vibration goes away. The U joint's will be a good start. I check back in with the results.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Oh, forgot to ask. Another noise I have is from the accessory belt . This week I did the tensioner and idler pulleys. The squeak persist and I think it the AC pulley bearing. Rock Auto doesn't list the bearing number, but I'd assume it can be changed out. Anybody have that bearing number?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
AC clutch compressor bearing changed. Measured 35x50x20 (same as link....thanks) on my Sanden compressor. Easy job. On to the next job.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
It was the U joint as predicted from the 'pinging' sound it was making as well as the vibration. Thanks Moose.

IMG_0207_zpshmbod5rh.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online