Trailblazer manual HVAC sliders

55Nick15

Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
VA
So ive ordered LEDs to switch out everything in my car and everything seems like it should be not too much of a pain to do except for the HVAC.

my question is, is there any way to remove the slider covers without dremmeling out the sides like in the light mods thread? I really dont wanna break off the slider but I also dont want to cut a hole out of the side.

or is there a place i could order the slider cover itself and just cut them off?

ive searched everywhere for this answer and its either cut it, or be very very careful and have a backup ready.

Thanks

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So ive ordered LEDs to switch out everything in my car and everything seems like it should be not too much of a pain to do except for the HVAC.

my question is, is there any way to remove the slider covers without dremmeling out the sides like in the light mods thread? I really dont wanna break off the slider but I also dont want to cut a hole out of the side.

or is there a place i could order the slider cover itself and just cut them off?

ive searched everywhere for this answer and its either cut it, or be very very careful and have a backup ready.

Thanks

Your best bet is to just to dremmel them with a small tip so it's as least noticeable as possible. If you just try to finagle them off carefully you'll just end up breaking the sliders and be S.O.L.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you have a heat gun, you could try heating up the tabs some, in hopes that the interior heats up enough to soften, without melting the exterior (too much) that would allow you to pull them off easily. Same theory I came up with from dremeling the sides. :twocents:

55Nick15

Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
VA
If you have a heat gun, you could try heating up the tabs some, in hopes that the interior heats up enough to soften, without melting the exterior (too much) that would allow you to pull them off easily. Same theory I came up with from dremeling the sides. :twocents:

did the heat gun trick work? i have one and would much rather do that. maybe cover the rest of the front with a rag or something and just leave the plastic exposed.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
Rather than using a heat gun, which you really can't direct the heat flow too well, use a soldering iron (not a small pencil type, but one with a larger tip and power). No experience doing this but it might be worth a try.
Be careful not to overheat the slider tab, apply iron just long enough while gently pulling on knob.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
did the heat gun trick work? i have one and would much rather do that. maybe cover the rest of the front with a rag or something and just leave the plastic exposed.

Not for me, that's why I came up with the ideal to notch the slider tab and apply the soldering iron directly to the slider to heat it from the inside rather than the outside.

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Over the course of a few weeks of occasionally wiggling mine I got one side to come off OK but no matter how much I fiddled with the other slider I couldn't get it off, so I just lived with the passenger slider being dark and never LED modded mine.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Not for me, that's why I came up with the ideal to notch the slider tab and apply the soldering iron directly to the slider to heat it from the inside rather than the outside.
I remember seeing that way back when in the LED mod thread lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online