Trailblazer headlight bulb replacement (grille removal method)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Summary: Replacing a Trailblazer low beam headlight bulb (grille removal method)
Difficulty: Easy
Estimated Time: 10 Min
Part Numbers: 9006 low beam bulb, dielectric grease (not mandatory but recommended)
Cost: varies

Tools: Long screwdriver or small prybar, towel, small screwdriver may be helpful.

Step 1) Remove the grille Click here for grille removal

Step 2) Locate the two retaining tabs. Use a good sized screwdriver or mini prybar to disengage the tabs by pulling them up.
Tip: Place a rag or towel under the tool to prevent any possible damage to the headlamp.

669610a3.jpg

e2000be9.jpg

9c14333a.jpg

61394c60.jpg

3cb53fa4.jpg

Tip: Place a towel under the headlamp to prevent damage to the bumper

44ee08f1.jpg

7b93490f.jpg

Step 3) Remove the rubber cover for the low beam bulb

3c962d70.jpg

Step 4) Rotate the bulb counter clockwise to release it from the headlamp, and maneuver the bulb out of the headlamp

6dfce2db.jpg

Step 5) Gently pull the tab to release the bulb connector
Tip: A small screwdriver can be used, be careful not to pull the tab too far

cab6b533.jpg

Step 6) Inspect the connector for damage.

160d62bf.jpg

Step 6a) Put a dab of dielectric grease in the bulbs connector

0922c56c.jpg

Step 7) Plug in the new bulb.

d98ba142.jpg

To install, align the three tabs of the bulb into the base and turn clockwise to lock it into place. Install the rubber cover. Align the headlamp into the retaining tab slots, and push down the two retaining tabs. Reinstall grille.

While it may sound like a lot of steps, this method can be done in under a minute.

[video=youtube;QrM1b91RIS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrM1b91RIS8[/video]

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Nice write up :thumbsup:

silvernclean said:
This is pretty much the same as the envoys also. :thumbsup:

The LT is the same as the voy, the LS will be different because of the cross bar

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
At least in the 2005 Envoys you only have to lift the tabs to remove the headlamp assembly. You do not need to remove the grill.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
DJones said:
I would have added 9005 for the high beams.

I have a separate article submission coming that shows all of the headlight bulb r/r procedures. I missed a few important pics in the first go round.:redface:

100_1242.jpg

This article has a dual purpose, as the connector to the low beam is accessed while still connected to the vehicle. It will be referenced in something big coming in the near future.:cool:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks for the thread. Read it the other day and already came in handy last night in the walmart parking lot. Before I had to remove the air filter to get at the pass side.

DeltonRushing

Apr 19, 2012
I found a way to replace both headlight bulbs without removing the grille in my 02 TB. For the drivers side, you should be able to slide your hand between to battery box and the light. Now, the passenger side is easy, all you have to do is remove the air filter box and you can access the bulb with no problem.

PS - I have small hands so you might not be able to fit yours on the drivers side.

benz01

Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
For those that have done this, have you had issues with moisture getting into the assembly? When I put the rubber cover back on, it did not fit as snugly as it was before.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Mark20 said:
At least in the 2005 Envoys you only have to lift the tabs to remove the headlamp assembly. You do not need to remove the grill.

:iagree:

I do however have a word of caution to add for any model that has the quick disconnect tabs - when you go to push the tab back down be really sure the headlamp lens assembly is fully seated, otherwise the tab will kick the pin out, the tab will go all the way to the limit in the plastic housing, and you (at least I did) are likely to break the plastic trying to get the damn tab up again. If pics will help, I think I have some stashed on my phone

wedge1

Apr 29, 2013
Thanks to everyone for this thread. When the right low beam went out, I figured that I was in trouble. The guy at NAPA told me that he had spent the morning trying to change the bulb on a car. He didn't say whether he was successful. I unlocked the two tabs and unclipped the three closest clips in the grill. I was able to pull the headlamp assembly forward far enough to have fairly good access to the bulb. To pull it further forward, I would have had to unplug the side marker light. I pulled the cap off, changed the bulb, put the cap back on, pushed the assembly back into place, and closed the latches. I then pushed the three grill clips back in. It was much easier than I thought that it would be. Thanks again. Wedge1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online