Tow plug has lost its juice

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
My 03 Envoy with factory tow package has lost voltage at the tow plug. Was hooking up my kayak trailer in which I had recently installed an LED lighting package, and noticed just very faint or no illumination depending on the function. Thought maybe LED was defective. Hooked it up to my son's Equinox tow plug and LED lights work fine. Volt meter at the plug shows zilch coming through. Checked engine fuse block including #32 which is a large 30A fuse "Trailer". Fuse looks good but meter showed no power to the fuse contacts. Any suggestions on where to check next? Thanks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Did you snag a set of the manuals and schematics? I'll attach a copy here in case you idn't get your yet.

I assume you're talking about the RUNNING LIGHT circuit, but you didn't specifically say that. And I'm also assuming the ONLY function that's flaky is the running lights. If other functions are flaky such as the turn signals or brake lights, or especially if lights are interacting like the brake lights dim if you also turn on a turn signal, then a bad GROUND is more likely than a bad fuse.

Front fuse #32 feeds the threaded stud that's intended for the red wire ring lug everybody who's a regular reader here or on trailvoy knows about. It's only used for trailers that need a full-time battery recharge feed. Nothing to do with trailer brakes or lighting.

Running lights are fed by the Park Lamp relay, but are fused by REAR fuse 42. That's almost certainly your problem. For completeness, the list is as follows:
  • Trailer brake controller feed - front #19
  • Red wire trailer battery charge - front #32
  • Backup lamps - front #27, then the backup switch on the side of the tranny, then front #4
  • Parking and running lamps - Park LP relay, then read #42
  • Left brake and turn signal - flasher module, then front #51
  • Right brake and turn signal - flasher module, then front $50
2009-08-14_200655_2006-Trailblazer-Trailer-Sch1.jpg

Trailer.7.way.RV.Style.Trailer.Plug.Wiring.Pollock.Bargman.Plug-600x4061.jpg

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I found the ground on mine to be corroded. I had to dissassemble the plug assembly to find it, it was where the wiring connects into the plug you can see. I have a thread on here with a few details somewhere...

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
Mine got corroded a couple of years ago. I took it apart , cleaned it and packed all the contacts in it with dielectric grease. Haven't had a problem since.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Thanks for the great input and wiring schematics. I'll tear into it this week and post my findings.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
The frame ground for the tow harness is on the drivers side rear shock housing. Wouldn't hurt to check that as well.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Got to fess up....feel like a numskull. I looked at Roadie's schematic and realized I was not testing to the correct ground pin. Once I did, the voltage was good for the running lights, turn and stop. Turns out there was an intermittant ground connection problem with the trailer unrelated to the white ground wire, that had not existed until recently. Even checked the plug assembly for corrosion and it was clean. Thanks for the assist and sorry I was not better prepared before asking.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online