To toss in a converter or not....

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Just picked up my cam. Specs are:

Intake Duration: 214 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift.
Intake Lift: .600" with 1.7 rockers.
Exhaust Duration 220 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift
Exhaust Lift .564" with 1.7 rockers.
115 Degree LSA

(This is the Truck Torque 1 from EPS)

Also picked up a new timing chain, pushrods, double springs etc.... just wondering if you all would suggest adding a converter to the mix. This is a DAILY DRIVER, so don't want to get crazy. I have the luxury of living within 20 minutes of a custom converter place.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
What's the ultimate goal? You have a cam in a DD so not sure which direction you want to go... but I say keep it unless you're racing :undecided:

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
What's the ultimate goal? You have a cam in a DD so not sure which direction you want to go... but I say keep it unless you're racing :undecided:

Ultimate goal... A DD that won't get smoked by a Kia? LOL

Down the road, I might plumb up a turbo (buddy has one in his Silverado and the 5.3 seems to love it). That won't be until spring at least...

For now, just looking on opinions with this cam. The 5.3 is already pretty weak on the bottom end and wondering if the top end will make up for it sufficiently

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
converter, yes. question is how high of a stall. depends on the torquiness of that cam.

my cam is 231/239 .617/.624 114LSA, I swapped out my 3200 stall with a 3000 because I'm making plenty-o-torque down low

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Got a tune scheduled for the 8th... so going to drop the cam in the day before. It looks like a lot of the loss in low-end is due to torque management, namely line B2804 (throttle open-rate limits) in the ECM. I'm going to try without doing it and see how it turns out with just removing all rate limits

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
[video=youtube;VLsY7dYjenY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsY7dYjenY[/video]

This is on a 4.2, but is included in the 5.3L's engine management

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I'd like to get rid of that slow rate opening myself. Not sure I want to pay for a tune bad enough to do it yet, tho.

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
C-ya said:
I'd like to get rid of that slow rate opening myself. Not sure I want to pay for a tune bad enough to do it yet, tho.

It's cheaper than converting to cable... Since I need the tune anyway, might as well have him punch in a few extra numbers

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online

No members online now.