Tire Pressure Sensor

addohm

Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I have two sensors that don't seem to be working, at least according to the driver information part of the guage cluster. Where are they? Can they be fixed\replaced without removing the tire from the wheel??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
addohm said:
I have two sensors that don't seem to be working, at least according to the driver information part of the guage cluster. Where are they? Can they be fixed\replaced without removing the tire from the wheel??
They're inside the tire, part of the valve stem unit, or strapped inside the rim (not sure which system we use). You have to remove the tire CAREFULLY to replace them.

View attachment 31407

View attachment 31408

Attachments

• tpms4.jpg
    tpms4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 68
  • tpms-sensor-tn.jpg
    tpms-sensor-tn.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 68

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it lost the communication to those two sensors. You could try the relearn process. Instructions should be in your owners manual. If they are dead, then check eBay for some replacements. Cheaper than the dealer and sometimes new take-offs.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
How does one go about making this repair? Doesn't seem like a DIY kinda thing unless you just happen to have a heckuva well stocked shop.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I also have an 07 and recently had a sensor go bad due to a low battery(3v inside each sensor).I bought 4 new AC Delco sensors at Amazon, it was the best price around. I thought about eliminating them too but, then my wife was planning a long trip in the Malibu and got a low pressure alert the night before, found a screw in her tire and pictured here stranded on the thruway had we not found it in time, so now I'm a TPMS guy.
The pressure readings of the TPMS sensors is a relatively close representation of actual PSI, they are really more concerned about all being the same pressure to expose a low tire pressure.
My understanding is that when you adjust tire pressure you need to go for a drive above 20mph to reactivate the sensors, once you stop they go into a sleep mode to extend battery life...Mike.
ACDelco 25774006 Tire Pressure Sensor : Amazon.com : Automotive

As for installation...take it to a tire shop, they are too delicate and too expensive to risk a back yard repair.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, to replace those sensors, you have to at least break the tire bead to get to the sensor/valve to replace it. Essentially the same as replacing the valve in a normal setup.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Mooseman said:
Yeah, to replace those sensors, you have to at least break the tire bead to get to the sensor/valve to replace it. Essentially the same as replacing the valve in a normal setup.

Right...and you don't lose the balance because the tire stays on the rim so, the cost of having a garage do it is usually pretty reasonable :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online