Tinted Headlights

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:eek: If there was any kind of oil/grease on the lens when you sprayed them, that's gonna be a problem down the road. Start the clock until you start to see some peeling. :hissyfit: This will be a good lesson for other members in the future. :yes:

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
itll be alright, ill probably end up changing it up again this summer. Might get some new lights. crack them open paint the insides and install a few things.
how long you think before i start see peeling come on lets hear those bets!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Way too many factors play in. Weather, temperatures, frequency/duration of your drives, road debris (bug guts/rock chips), and whether or not there was any type of oils/chemicals/wax on the headlights to begin with. Just have to wait and see what happens.

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Way too many factors play in. Weather, temperatures, frequency/duration of your drives, road debris (bug guts/rock chips), and whether or not there was any type of oils/chemicals/wax on the headlights to begin with. Just have to wait and see what happens.

i guess thats what we will do. wait and see..

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
So, how "should" you clean them" Head lights, tails, mirror turn etc...? It soap and water doesn't work, what does?

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
i use soap and water then hit it with isopropyl alcohol, that should take off whatever the soap and water doesnt get

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Sanding with a 2000grit sand paper makes a big difference!!! Does not seem like much but makes the head light much smoother and helps hold the paint pretty good!! And then your clear will protect the light from there! But if you want, but a set of halo projectors (I know you don't like halos) so open those up, disable the halos and Mr Smith mod them and paint the inside! Would look sick IMO :yes:

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Sanding with a 2000grit sand paper makes a big difference!!! Does not seem like much but makes the head light much smoother and helps hold the paint pretty good!! And then your clear will protect the light from there! But if you want, but a set of halo projectors (I know you don't like halos) so open those up, disable the halos and Mr Smith mod them and paint the inside! Would look sick IMO :yes:

I like the look of some halos. but the projectors have to be bright enough and i really dont have much experience with projectors.
(wear i live u need alot of light because of lack of street lights, and curvy roads.)

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
YOUNG said:
I like the look of some halos. but the projectors have to be bright enough and i really dont have much experience with projectors.
(wear i live u need alot of light because of lack of street lights, and curvy roads.)

the projectors will be MUCH better then what we have!! They will even out those HID's instead of seeing hot spots! Puts those HID's to good use lol Plus you have those high beams for the spots you cannot see :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
YOUNG said:
Highbeams stay on out here, the most dangerest thing out here is when someone forgets to turn them off and your coming around a curve and can see S*** :hissyfit:

Yeah I have had to deal with people like that also!! That is why I show them my quad beams :biggrin::Boxin:

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
so we all know that my tinted headlights are super dark!
but here is some pictures of the blinkers as night. camera phones dont do lights justice, but it shows up well enough.

0229122118.jpg

0229122119a.jpg

go ahead lets here your opinions! :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looks good man, maybe some side shots for the corner lights?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Looks good man, maybe some side shots for the corner lights?

:iagree:

night shots are one thing, lets see some day time shots of the blinkers :raspberry::wink: lol

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
: lets see some day time shots of the blinkers :raspberry::wink: lol

You probably won't see much lol I did VHT on my outside mirror signals...can't even tell they are signals during the day :redface: Oh and mine only have 3 coats of niteshade....

I'm to much of a :lipsrsealed: to do my head lights or tails. I would rather have someone else mess them up for me lol And switchbacks are badass. I plan on possibly doing them in my truck...one day.

But they do look good, so good Job!!

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
:iagree:

night shots are one thing, lets see some day time shots of the blinkers :raspberry::wink: lol

ummm people were asking for night shots so i posted those, and day shots ehhhh well lets just say my state doesnt require blinkers to be used! ha. :lipsrsealed: i know, not as safe. but ill be upgrading the light by time summer comes as i dont drive alot now.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:

SOON

Like when you decide to take a road trip here to Iowa and do them for me soon? :biggrin:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
SOON

Like when you decide to take a road trip here to Iowa and do them for me soon? :biggrin:

:raspberry: Let me respond to that with a question, "How many hubby's does it take to replace a turn signal light bulb?" :rotfl:

Young, are those stock turn signal bulbs? :undecided:

If they are, I bet you know what I'm gonna say next!! :yes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:raspberry: Let me respond to that with a question, "How many hubby's does it take to replace a turn signal light bulb?" :rotfl:

It's not switching the lights that I'm worried about...it's the wiring. I seen pictures of your LED's being soldered in the cluster panel and have to take a xanax from the anxiety I get lol I just know if I try doing something like that I'm going to screw it all up. Hell I damn near had a heart attack niteshading my mirror signals :rotfl:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
YOUNG run away before Carlton makes you end up.....

empty-wallet1.jpg

Then you spend your last dollar on this

tumblr_l3sbiyVu9u1qc457ko1_400.jpg

:dielaugh::raspberry::tongue:

Blckshdw said:

:rotfl::rotfl: One for each LED on the switchback? haha

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
It's not switching the lights that I'm worried about...it's the wiring. I seen pictures of your LED's being soldered in the cluster panel and have to take a xanax from the anxiety I get lol I just know if I try doing something like that I'm going to screw it all up. Hell I damn near had a heart attack niteshading my mirror signals :rotfl:

Well, you can relax a lil bit, since the switchbacks are actual bulbs, that pop right into your existing sockets. Only wiring (possibly) would be adding load resistors. A plug and play alternative to that, is replacing the flasher module which is just above and to the left of the brake pedal, with an LED flasher module. I went with the module swap, took about 5 minutes. Hardest part was contorting the right way to be able to look upwards under the dash from the floor. For someone vertically challenged, it might be a lil easier :wink:

We'll talk about cluster and other interior device modding later :yes:

ItsOnVoy said:
YOUNG run away before Carlton makes you end up.....

:crackup: Hey now, I know I'm not the only one who's been feeding LED mod bugs around here!

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Well, you can relax a lil bit, since the switchbacks are actual bulbs, that pop right into your existing sockets. Only wiring (possibly) would be adding load resistors. A plug and play alternative to that, is replacing the flasher module which is just above and to the left of the brake pedal, with an LED flasher module. I went with the module swap, took about 5 minutes. Hardest part was contorting the right way to be able to look upwards under the dash from the floor. For someone vertically challenged, it might be a lil easier :wink:

so if i add switbacks i will forsure need a flasher module? as im not into messing with the wiring too much.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
YOUNG said:
so if i add switbacks i will forsure need a flasher module? as im not into messing with the wiring too much.

In your case, yep. Part# LM487 $34 from RockAuto.

getimage.php

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
YOUNG said:
seems plug and play everything, and i like plug and play! makes it about to easy.
looks like ill be looking at ordering switchbacks Later tonight

Good to hear that...let me help you out :biggrin:

[EBAY]330695585747[/EBAY]

:rotfl::raspberry:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:poke: :confused: And you try to talk about me Sam? :hopeless: :raspberry:

:rotfl: Hey you did all the feeding!! You made the cake..now I might as well add the frosting to finish it :biggrin: (and I know we all love our frosting) lol

Might as well help him if he is already convinced loll

YOUNG

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
:rotfl: Hey you did all the feeding!! You made the cake..now I might as well add the frosting to finish it :biggrin: (and I know we all love our frosting) lol

Might as well help him if he is already convinced loll

i hope your buying them for me! :raspberry:
i currently have to save any money i can for my senior trip to Germany this year, so i cant do any mods that cost any $$$ really.

jpleasant

May 4, 2012
Okay I jumped out and tinted my headlights now I need help. The tint I used was VHT and it made the head and fog light plastic look like they were cracking. Like glass does right before it breaks. I am confused at why this happened. I had the tail-lights done with the same product and the same way and they didn't turn out like that. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could do it to make it look better. By-the-Way- I water sanded them then sprayed them with coats, then glosses them with coats, water sanded again lightly, and then waxed them.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
U wet sanded them b4 u applied vht?? U don't want them smooth when u apply any paint. U want a little texture so that the paint can "grip". Then after u apply one coat u can sand.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
jrSS said:
U wet sanded them b4 u applied vht?? U don't want them smooth when u apply any paint. U want a little texture so that the paint can "grip". Then after u apply one coat u can sand.

yeah sand between each coat with like 2000 grit sand paper, wet sand them. What I had done with mine and there just fine

jpleasant

May 4, 2012
I will have to post pictures tomorrow when it is daylight. I need direct instructions on how to tint the headlights, foglights, and tail-lights to make them look smoked. I guess I took it a little far with the tint. IT IS DARK!!! the HID's don't even put out good light. So what I am asking is can someone give me removal directions and reapplying directions. My tail-lights are perfect just a little to dark, but they didn't crack. I thank you all in advance for your help.
1.Is VHT spray tint OK to smoke them with?
2.How do I keep them from cracking?
3.How do I fix the already cracked look of the headlight and foglights for the next time?
4.Do I need to be in an warm environment
5.How do I remove them without causing more damage

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Of course u need a warm environment or else paint won't cure. If they r too dark sand down and start over. Vht is a good product.

jpleasant

May 4, 2012
I Prob will remove it all and do more of a smoke finish and just gloss the :lipsrsealed: out of it. I would still like some input on how others have done theirs and how they have turned out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online