Feb 8, 2012
ta7a5ave.jpg
u6y4e2a6.jpg
hegu9u8e.jpg
3eraseja.jpg

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Looking pretty bad...

Lift up the wheel by the placing your jack under the lower control arm. Once the tire is suspended, see how much play you have by lifting and moving the wheel around. It takes some effort as you are lifting all the weight of the entire assembly. It takes a little more effort than when checking your hub for play.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Robbabob said:
Looking pretty bad...

Lift up the wheel by the placing your jack under the lower control arm. Once the tire is suspended, see how much play you have by lifting and moving the wheel around. It takes some effort as you are lifting all the weight of the entire assembly. It takes a little more effort than when checking your hub for play.

About to do that right now...just watched a couple videos over on youtube...

**UPDATE**

there is slight play and metal to metal tapping when moving Passenger side tire at 12 and 6, none on the driver's side... but boot is torn and I see some grease... more money into this damn truck... :hissyfit::biggrin:

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I went with Moog problem solver ball joints... $100.20 out the door from RockAuto...will use Mobil 1 grease...

theavenger333

Feb 4, 2014
replace the lower control arms......

ball joints have a pretty good life expectancy.... if the ball joint is bad (probably 100k+ miles on it) then the bushings on the rest of the arm are no good. Way easier to change too....

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
If it were me, I'd go ahead and replace all of them too. *That is, if they weren't recently done.
Oh, and the lowers gave me a much harder time to remove than the uppers. Replacing the top ball joints on my '03 (with 125k) went smooth. The lowers...not so much. It's a good learning experience though.

Keep plenty of beer close by. Have a few while doing them and you'll be fine.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
No trouble pressing out, trouble pressing in, the problem everyone has...had to go in search of a socket ...will post more pics later...

6y4eby7y.jpg
3ezevymy.jpg
qe6ujety.jpg
ha5u8yqy.jpg

the install, using a 1 1/2 Craftsman socket...

4yqe2ape.jpg
u9ehabat.jpg
9anerytu.jpg

3ane4aru.jpg
na9a7ypa.jpg

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Fire06 said:
Might be doing this job coming up.

It's a PITA installing if you don't have the right adapters.... the set I used was an OTC set and some add-ons... ended up using the socket method I found on youtube... before you buy any type of adapter, know which ball joints you're gonna go with... that damn socket wasn't cheap... it was $21 at Sears....

this is the video I used as a reference...

[video=youtube_share;rEatj_xVnqE]http://youtu.be/rEatj_xVnqE[/video]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online

No members online now.