Thumping while turning and braking

bdorsch44

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Hey guys. Looking for a little help diagnosing what's wrong with my baby. Recently I've noticed a thumping sound coming from the front end of my trailblazer. it's been getting louder and can feel it lightly in the steering wheel. The something goes with speed so I think it maybe the bearings but I suppose it could be the CV joints as well. Has anyone else encountered this? how would I be able to differentiate between wheel bearings and CV joint sounds? any help is much appreciated!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Lift the wheel off the ground, and check for movement in the wheel by grabbing it at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and shake. Then again at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, and shake. Any movement is a sign of a faulty bearing. If there is no movement, try spinning the wheel by hand, and see if you hear the noise.

bdorsch44

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Great. I'll give the push pull maneuver a try. I had it jacked up and spun the wheels but couldn't replicate the noise. Forgive my ignorance, but I would have to replace the whole hub assembly as opposed to just changing the bearings correct?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The hub bearings are not serviceable. They must be replaced as a unit. We have a lot of articles which should answer most questions here:Article Submissions

You want the third one down titled "How to replace front wheel hubs..."

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online