Tablets

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The time and effort required to learn how to install custom roms, root or other wise get your device to how you want it to can be extensive. I would suggest either looking into the dual boot option using Cyanogen as it seems easier. I have not looked through any of the guides yet but that is how I learned. I accidentally installed the wrong boot strap and bricked my phone, took me about 3 hours to get the overall concept and terms down. After that I found out I could completely trash the operating system and resurrect without much effort. It got me into other devices too, Samsungs are now a breeze, HTC seems to be my only headache.

The one thing I love about the Android community is that the amount of effort and time that is put in by people like you and me to enhance the programing and develop newer working versions of Android for a device that may not otherwise get the new version. If it is anything like doing what I have done a few days of reading and searching for stock software images, programs and any other things you may need in an oh shit moment will save you a ton of time and headache.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
The time and effort required to learn how to install custom roms, root or other wise get your device to how you want it to can be extensive. I would suggest either looking into the dual boot option using Cyanogen as it seems easier. I have not looked through any of the guides yet but that is how I learned. I accidentally installed the wrong boot strap and bricked my phone, took me about 3 hours to get the overall concept and terms down. After that I found out I could completely trash the operating system and resurrect without much effort. It got me into other devices too, Samsungs are now a breeze, HTC seems to be my only headache.

The one thing I love about the Android community is that the amount of effort and time that is put in by people like you and me to enhance the programing and develop newer working versions of Android for a device that may not otherwise get the new version. If it is anything like doing what I have done a few days of reading and searching for stock software images, programs and any other things you may need in an oh shit moment will save you a ton of time and headache.

I still cannot for the LIFE of me get my root software to work on my tablet. Kind of pisses me off because I have an SD card that is practically useless to me. So I'm stuck with the 12G of memory after everything is said and done and it just isn't enough with all the stupid bloatware.

I was using the forum called xda-developers. I just want to rid of the preloaded crap and use my SD card for the stupid little games I have on it lol.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
I still cannot for the LIFE of me get my root software to work on my tablet. Kind of pisses me off because I have an SD card that is practically useless to me. So I'm stuck with the 12G of memory after everything is said and done and it just isn't enough with all the stupid bloatware.

I was using the forum called xda-developers. I just want to rid of the preloaded crap and use my SD card for the stupid little games I have on it lol.

You picked up a Galaxy tab right? What version of android is it running currently and what model.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
You picked up a Galaxy tab right? What version of android is it running currently and what model.

Its running ice cream sandwhich. I have the galaxy tab 7.0 plus.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
Its running ice cream sandwhich. I have the galaxy tab 7.0 plus.

Which model? Did you download the latest google ADB drivers? What about the latest Samsung drivers for the tab? Also check to make sure you turned on USB debugging, allow installation of 3rd party apps (sometimes can prevent the root from installing SU and Busybox). The one I am reading right now is for the GT P6210

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Which model? Did you download the latest google ADB drivers? What about the latest Samsung drivers for the tab? Also check to make sure you turned on USB debugging, allow installation of 3rd party apps (sometimes can prevent the root from installing SU and Busybox). The one I am reading right now is for the GT P6210

The GT P6210 is the 7.0 plus. Yes I installed all the drivers and even installed busybox. I had to install a root checker app and apparently it failed.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
The GT P6210 is the 7.0 plus. Yes I installed all the drivers and even installed busybox. I had to install a root checker app and apparently it failed.

The ony I was reading said you put the .zip file on the sd card and apply through the stock recover menu. I have not had to it this way in a long time, but it was one of the early ways to get a device rooted.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
anyone on here get the surface tablet?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
anyone on here get the surface tablet?

A guy at work has one, it would work as a full replacement for your basic laptop. I did not play with their app store which I would assume is a lot like Apple's or Google's. I have heard rumors that the surface 2 may revealed soon, more power with a stronger focus on mobility.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
A guy at work has one, it would work as a full replacement for your basic laptop. I did not play with their app store which I would assume is a lot like Apple's or Google's. I have heard rumors that the surface 2 may revealed soon, more power with a stronger focus on mobility.

Thats one thing is the app store. Windows 8 is still new so how many apps do they have vs googles and apples.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Thats one thing is the app store. Windows 8 is still new so how many apps do they have vs googles and apples.

I know the mobile windows OS has been around longer than iOS. However I am not sure off that also would include the app market. At any point it has a lot of potential. Something else I will say is that the surface is more business/work oriented than either iOS or Android.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
surface RT has an arm processor, so its limited to whats in the app store. surface pro is an intel i5 processor and can run all desktop apps.

I put windows 8 on my laptop but without a touchscreen, the metro UI is a little annoying. Just bought my pops a 24" touchscreen desktop to run windows 8 on, metro might be a little more intuitive for people like him (old)... my mom can't get the concept of using a mouse, hoping maybe windows 8 will work for them, idk

blazinlow89 said:
I know the mobile windows OS has been around longer than iOS. However I am not sure off that also would include the app market. At any point it has a lot of potential. Something else I will say is that the surface is more business/work oriented than either iOS or Android.
Windows Mobile and Windows 8 RT are two different things

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Voymom said:

I was having difficulty rooting my Samsung Captivate. I ended up using Odin and pre-built images.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I've rooted 2 samsung android phones and they both gave me problems. Odin made it a lot easier and is the way to go.

I had no problems with my HTC phones whatsoever.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah the one thing I will never do again no matter what is jailbreak my iPhone, gave me hell when I did that with my 4 when I had that.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Late to the party on this one..

My wife had been wanting a tablet, but didnt know if she would really use it. So I bought he a cheap thing, called a Newsmy...

Newegg.com - 7" Newsmy NewPad P72 ARM Cortex A8 1.2GHz Android 4.0 5-point Capacitive Tablet PC WiFi 8GB

For 80 bucks, I was kinda surprised, HDMI, and 3D. Doesnt work with all the apps that I want it to, but its not for me, its for my wife..

I am contimplating getting a iPad 1 just for the streaming synch for my AppleTV. But even those things, at 6 years old, are still selling for 250 bucks. YIKES!

When I re-up my contract with my cell phone carrier, I will more than likely be getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
We used Odin and rooted both our Samsung phones and finally my tablet! We are using the megatron ROM on the phones but can't find ANYTHING worth using for the tablet...Kind of bummed because it is pretty much useless to root the tablet without a new ROM. I can't move my apps or use my SD card..it still functions as if stock, kind of frustrated with it.

So far I only have a few very minor issues with my phone, such as battery drainage as we upped how fast it runs, and the FB app which cuts my posting short. But I like it! It's easier to use and it's not as useless as the tablet as far as the memory goes.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
We used Odin and rooted both our Samsung phones and finally my tablet! We are using the megatron ROM on the phones but can't find ANYTHING worth using for the tablet...Kind of bummed because it is pretty much useless to root the tablet without a new ROM. I can't move my apps or use my SD card..it still functions as if stock, kind of frustrated with it.

So far I only have a few very minor issues with my phone, such as battery drainage as we upped how fast it runs, and the FB app which cuts my posting short. But I like it! It's easier to use and it's not as useless as the tablet as far as the memory goes.

The facebook android app uses tons of ram and runs in the background all the time. It kills your battery. I've just been using the web browser to go on facebook and my battery life has definetly improved.

You should try the app Adfree. It's also nice being able to uninstall all the bloat with a rooted device. Wifi kill is another fun app to mess with people who are using wifi.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Late to the party on this one..

My wife had been wanting a tablet, but didnt know if she would really use it. So I bought he a cheap thing, called a Newsmy...

Newegg.com - 7" Newsmy NewPad P72 ARM Cortex A8 1.2GHz Android 4.0 5-point Capacitive Tablet PC WiFi 8GB

For 80 bucks, I was kinda surprised, HDMI, and 3D. Doesnt work with all the apps that I want it to, but its not for me, its for my wife..

I am contimplating getting a iPad 1 just for the streaming synch for my AppleTV. But even those things, at 6 years old, are still selling for 250 bucks. YIKES!

When I re-up my contract with my cell phone carrier, I will more than likely be getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Apple holds there value very well!! If you want an iPad you should just spend the money on a newer on...or wait till march when the new ones come out. There will be a new mini and regular iPad out then. Or even an iPhone can do the trick with streaming to the apple tv. The new iPhone is pretty strong and can do streaming well. I stream it to my tv and xbox and all no problems. You can put movies on there and stream them or with netflix etc.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Hypnotoad said:
The facebook android app uses tons of ram and runs in the background all the time. It kills your battery. I've just been using the web browser to go on facebook and my battery life has definetly improved.

You should try the app Adfree. It's also nice being able to uninstall all the bloat with a rooted device. Wifi kill is another fun app to mess with people who are using wifi.

even if fb is running in the background it will only really use the battery when a notification comes in because it has to pull it and show you. I dont think that would really be an issue..it isn't for me on my phone at least. She can also get a extended battery for the samsung, my cuz did and made a huge difference in the life of it and he uses it a ton!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
So I just got my wife a 10.1 inch Asus tablet yesterday for our anniversary. Since I have the most expensive/current Ipad made, the bar is set pretty low. So far I like hers far more than the Ipad. Only thing she doesn't have that my Ipad does is the data package and I presume she can use her droid phone or my iphone as a hot spot. As mentioned earlier, I get all my technology for free from work and so I don't get to choose but I honestly can't believe any ipads or Iphones (my phone) are willingly purchased.

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jkust said:
So I just got my wife a 10.1 inch Asus tablet yesterday for our anniversary. Since I have the most expensive/current Ipad made, the bar is set pretty low. So far I like hers far more than the Ipad. Only thing she doesn't have that my Ipad does is the data package and I presume she can use her droid phone or my iphone as a hot spot. As mentioned earlier, I get all my technology for free from work and so I don't get to choose but I honestly can't believe any ipads or Iphones (my phone) are willingly purchased.

I have 2 from Asus. which one did you get her?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Hypnotoad said:

I have yet figured out how to delete the bloatware on my tablet without using a new custom ROM which I can't find.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
black ice said:
I have 2 from Asus. which one did you get her?

It's the Transformer 300t. It was between that and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but the Asus has 32 Gigs compard to the 16 of the same priced tab and also has a quad core processor. The Galaxy looks nicer butthe extra 16 gigs and similar everthing else is hard to argue with. The only thing the Asus doesnt have that I wanted for her is gorilla glass so I got a screen protector and the warranty which I never do. The kids will play with it and at the end or the warrany period if you didn't use it, you get a brand new battery installed. I couldn't watch her lug her 17" Asus laptob around any more.

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jkust said:
It's the Transformer 300t It was between that and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but the Asus has 32 Gigs compard to the 16 of the same priced tab and also has a quad core processor. The Galaxy looks nicer butthe extra 16 gigs and similar everthing else is hard to argue with. The only thing the Asus doesnt have that I wanted for her is gorilla glass so I got a screen protector and the warranty which I never do. The kids will play with it and at the end or the warrany period if you didn't use it, you get a brand new battery installed. I couldn't watch her lug her 17" Asus laptob around any more.

Cool, I have the t300t as well... the blue one..its rooted

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
I have yet figured out how to delete the bloatware on my tablet without using a new custom ROM which I can't find.

Use titanium backup or any number of app uninstallers on the market. Titanium backup is awesome. You can also backup your apps, then switch roms, get a new phone, or do a factory reset and restore them. It also saves the data saved within the apps. For instance, if you have a game with a high score. You can save it and restore it again with your high score intact.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
Use titanium backup or any number of app uninstallers on the market. Titanium backup is awesome. You can also backup your apps, then switch roms, get a new phone, or do a factory reset and restore them. It also saves the data saved within the apps. For instance, if you have a game with a high score. You can save it and restore it again with your high score intact.

I prefer ROM toolbox pro, offers a lot of customization, app backup, full rom backup, also allows framework backup. It is worth every penny of $5.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Hypnotoad said:

Titanium backup will brick my tablet and phones due to the root we used. My custom ROM on the phone is awesome and it rid my phone of the bloatware, just wish there was a ROM for the tablet that did the same. I'm still very new to the rooted world.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I prefer ROM toolbox pro, offers a lot of customization, app backup, full rom backup, also allows framework backup. It is worth every penny of $5.

Haven't tried it yet. I use 4ext and titanium, both paid versions. I also have the paid version of rom manager which I don't use anymore because 4ext is so much better. I just don't feel like paying for another app that does the same things I can already do. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
Titanium backup will brick my tablet and phones due to the root we used. My custom ROM on the phone is awesome and it rid my phone of the bloatware, just wish there was a ROM for the tablet that did the same. I'm still very new to the rooted world.

Are you thinking of clockworkmod recovery? I've heard of that bricking devices, not titanium.

black ice

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Voymom said:

Is there any development for your device over on XDA?

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I have a Nexus 7 tablet. I have tried 2 different root toolboxes and neither one will root it. Do you know of anyone else with these issues?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
Haven't tried it yet. I use 4ext and titanium, both paid versions. I also have the paid version of rom manager which I don't use anymore because 4ext is so much better. I just don't feel like paying for another app that does the same things I can already do. Maybe I'll give it a try.

He has a free version, which offers alot of features. IIRC the only you could not do with free was app backup/restore, some of the editing features, and a few of the customizing features. IT will do the work of about 4-5 other good apps.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
black ice said:

Nope. That's where the one ROM is but it isn't stable yet.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Gotta Microsoft Surface running windows 8RT. Been using it for a week now and it's not bad actually. It's more business friendly but I still use my android tablet for all other uses

elchicano

Apr 14, 2012
I originally bought a nexus 7 because or the price. After a couple of days I returned it and instead got myself an iPad mini, way better! The only thing I did not like was the price.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Expensive Code reader
Bought a Samsung galaxy tab 2 android . Bought it for a trip im taking up to Chicago already pre loading with top gear and music. I dont know if I will root. Im much better at jailbreaking. Snatched an Incipio slicrylic case for $12 off amazon. pretty nice like the smart remote app neat feature. also dropped in a 16gb micro sd . ordered my elmobd2 and picked up some Sony studio headphones.
9D879F97-7715-4241-9F7B-4662B66C9FE4-4449-000004A531F440AE_zps5d3ec5dd.jpg

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
black ice said:

I have a nexus 7 too, there's like 15 different roms you can run depending on your tastes, I'm an akop fan myself love the customization.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
rcam81 said:
I have a Nexus 7 tablet. I have tried 2 different root toolboxes and neither one will root it. Do you know of anyone else with these issues?

still having trouble?

I have a nexus 7 and an asus transformer tf101 (first transformer model). I love the tf101 because the keyboard dock makes it perfect for note taking in meetings and gives it a 16 hour battery life.

I love the nexus 7 as well, works great for reading and as an in dash head unit replacement.

marshall@pcm

Dec 6, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
I got a hp touchpad a few months back during their firesale. It sits on my couch in the tv room, so I can look things up during commercials. Still not used to using the keypad. I still prefer a desktop or laptop keyboard.

Not sure about that particular one, but you can get keyboards for them, no?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude