Suggestions for Performance Camshaft for 2005 Trailblazer EXT 5.3L V8

ahhyeah

Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
I'm looking to replace my camshaft in my 2005 Trailblazer EXT with the 5.3L V8. I'm wanting a performance camshaft and wondering if anyone has suggestions and has been through the process. Or has a recommendation on a place to contact that would know more. I'm doing plugs and wires too so throw that in if you want :smile:

I did find this website so far: http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/trailblazer-ss-trailblazer-envoy-5-3l/category/653-engine-components

I left a message and am waiting for a call back. Seems a little pricey. $400 for the camshaft and $500 for install kit.

ahhyeah

Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
I've heard you can put a Z06 cam in without changing anything else. Any comments on that?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Are you doing DOD removal/deactivation during this tear down/rebuild?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
No, you don't have to, but I did see the description said tuning was required. If I was going that far, I would use the DOD elimination kit and get it turned off in the program. The DOD lifters are somewhat / kinda sorta prone to failure (collapse). If I was that deep, they would be outta there. I just had mine turned off via a tune since I had no reason to dig in to the engine yet.

(All that is assuming you have a DOD/AFM engine, which you should. If you have an M in the 8th digit of the VIN and LH6 as an RPO code, you have the DOD/AFM engine.)

Pretty serious damage and wear on that lifter roller and on the cam areas you zoomed in on. Wow...

ahhyeah

Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
I've got all the parts but the camshaft it's self. Comp was waiting on cores to be delivered so they could custom make mine. Hopefully it ships soon!

I do have the Active Fuel Management. I've seen the main part that does it and I have the M in the VIN. I'm keeping it for now, we'll see how that goes.

Do I have to take it somewhere to tune it or can I buy my own programmer? If I can buy my own, what's the recommendation? I know it was about $500 to have it tuned on a dyno here locally.

ahhyeah

Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
So I'm not tuned yet but camshaft is installed. Here's a video of it running. Not happy with the engine noise. Starting to hear from others that it's typical. :sadcry: Anyone have experience with that? I'm sending computer to the company I bought the camshaft from for tuning next week while I'm on vacation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtgXUDbd1w

Reactions: Mounce

ahhyeah

Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
So I just stopped at Karl performance and had two guys listen to my motor and they both said it sounds exactly like they would expect after a cam. It sounds like a louder exhaust is going to be my solution! Anyone have a good recommendation? Looking for something sporty and clean sounding. But still medium loud.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Sounds like basic vavle train noise to me... just more noticable due to higher RPMs and not being tuned yet. And if you want to keep things quiet/throaty/clean sounding, then MagnaFlow is the way to go. Lot of SS guys use them but it's too quiet for me. But I like loud :yes:.

Reactions: C-ya

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My valvetrain is kind of noisy like that. I don't have a resonator on mine, but I do have the stock cam. When my muffler opened up at the rear seam, it sounded pretty darn mean. I wanted to go with a throatier muffler but with a little one, I decided to keep it quiet for now. Next muffler will be a bit louder. The current may or may not get some help in expiring in a couple of years. :cool:

I had Thrush Boss Turbo's on my Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10) when I dropped a small block in it. Rumbled pretty decently at idle (no cats), sounded good to me, obnoxious to others, and roared when you got on it. Flowmasters were too loud and I didn't want a drone when cruising. I put a 700R4 in it to avoid high RPM cruising after a friend and coworker told me his Malibu drove him nuts with the Power Glide he had in it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online

No members online now.