Steering suddenly super difficult.

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
So my wife went to make a u-turn on our street the other day. She said mid way through the turn the steering just gave out. She could turn the wheel but it was super hard for her to turn it. She left it parked on the street. I test drove it around a couple of blocks and it's even difficult for me to turn it in either direction. I had a car as a teenager that didn't have power steering (85 Nissan Datsun), but at least when the car was moving forward I could turn that wheel with ease.
Power steering fluid is full, and with 140k on it definitely needs to be flushed. Any ideas on possible culprits? Power steering pump? Or rack and pinion? Thoughts?

Forgot to mention.... it's an 2004 TB Ext 4wd

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like the power steering pump quit. Being in a u-turn with wheels at full lock, I could see that happen.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wonder if it will come back. My power steering cut out after I pulled a tight U turn once, but then in a bit it came back (weird I know). Did this to me twice, but also started groaning. Replaced the pump and it hasn't done that since, though there sometimes feels to be a "rough" spot in the rack at times.

Was she holding it tight at lock or only close? I know that some people have sheared their pump shafts by holding the wheel tight against lock while doing donuts. I wouldn't think a simple U turn would do that. One possible way to tell is to pull the belt and then check for play in the PS pump pulley (in and out or maybe free spinning with little/no resistance).

Reactions: Denali n DOO

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
I asked her that night about holding it tight at lock, and she said she didn't and doesn't normally do that. I'll check for the play in the pulley.
The more I think about it, I do think it's just the pump and not the R&P. When I was comparing how it felt to drive my old 85 Datsun, I didn't take into consideration that that car didn't have a rack & pinion steering system.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When mine cut out it definitely was easier to turn while in motion, but was still not easy. Even at 20mph I still had to heave on it a bit.

Vehicles designed without power steering will have a lower ratio gearbox to make turning without assist easier. A power steering vehicle is much harder to crank the wheel if it fails.

Reactions: stickypoop

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
Sounds like the power steering pump quit. Being in a u-turn with wheels at full lock, I could see that happen.
My thought exactly. I sheared the shaft off in mine backing into my drive way in the snow last year. @RyanEAS: pop the hood and grab the pulley on the pump. If it moves in and out at all, you're gonna need a pump. You'll know definitively if you pull the belt first, but I found that there was clearly something amiss before I pulled the belt even.

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
Sooo, I finally got around to making the repair today. Got the serpentine belt off, and lightly pulled on the power steering pulley, and the sucker popped out completely! Yup, the shaft sheared right off. So while I had access to that area, I also replaced the variable valve timer and the camshaft position sensor, and the belt tensioner. I also bled the entire PS lines at the lowest point.

Here's my next question... I bought Valvoline max life power steering fluid. When I poured it in, it was a clear/white color. I thought Power steering fluid was supposed to be red??? Thoughts?

Reactions: stickypoop

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nope, PS fluid is usually clear-ish when new. It can turn kinda muddy looking when in dire need of replacement though (ask me how I know lol).

Transmission fluid is red.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In the old days, power steering used to use tranny fluid but not anymore.

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
Sparky.. How DO you know?!?! LOL
Mine was pretty brown when I changed it today.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's all hydraulic fluid so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky.. How DO you know?!?! LOL
Mine was pretty brown when I changed it today.

Factory PS fluid from 12 years and 200k miles :redface:

Reactions: RyanEAS

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'll bet you it's the same stuff, just a way to charge us more for it, same as the smurf blood.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Actually, mine was red like atf too come to think about it. I know boats use atf, those are gm systems from yesteryear. The only thing I've noticed is systems that are speced for ps fluid rather than atf don't take kindly to atf... the seals fail prematurely... ask me how I know lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online