Steering Rack leaking

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Hello, I replaced my steering rack in my 06 Trailblazer EXT last summer (July 2015), I don't have much options here in Canada (Edmonton) for what rack I can buy. I used A-1 CARDONE 221014, I got it thru my work for $250CAD.
Today I noticed my power steering res to be empty, but 6 weeks ago it was full. I found it leaking out the drivers side out the boot, just like my oem rack. I can get a new rack under warranty, but that means another alignment.

I do have a lift, I'm using Moog 81110 with MarkMC 2.5" kit, and wheel spacers. Also moog out tie rods. Could any of this had something to do with the rack failing so soon?
Could wrong fluid cause premature failure? I am using Castrol GT power steering fluid.
I am worried that if i replace the rack again it will start leaking again in 6 months.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah. Cardone=crap. Never had much luck with their stuff. I got a rebuilt a couple years ago from my local parts store that gets them from a rebuilder in Quebec. So far so good.

A rack and pinion is not affected by suspension angles and such as the only thing that moves is the rack side to side. If it leaks, a seal is done. If you used power steering fluid, then it's Cardone's fault.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I can get a new cardone rack for a extra $250, do you think its worth getting a brand new one, or just take the warranty rack and hope for the best.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't have much faith in their new stuff neither, having their water pumps fail in short order. Maybe try and find some reviews of them online. I'd just get the warranty replacement. Maybe you'll get one rebuilt on a Wednesday instead of a Friday or Monday (or in your case, started on a Friday and finished on a Monday).

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Lol Thanks Mooseman, I'm thinking about just buying a ac delco one online or if I can find a SS one and just sell the new reman rack. I really don't wanna do this again in 6 months.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or one from a 9-7x. Not as quick as the SS but a bit easier to find.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Well I am back at it again. My warranty reman cardone steering rack failed again after 8 months.
I found a 2008 Envoy Denali 5.3 rack and pinion at a wrecker for $90. I pick it up Monday. Does anyone know which vehicles of the trailblazer/envoys/saab have the stiffer steering? Is it just the SS and 97x that have the stiffer steering?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online