steering issue?

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
so the past week or 2 i have noticed that the steering isnt as responsive as it was recently when going from a stop. seems fine while moving. the other day i went to town and when pulling in to a parking spot, it made some sort of grating/grinding noise and steering wheel feel while straightening out. later it made another sort of ..something.. cant remember exactly what it did..lol but wasnt normal what ever it was. today i spent some time trying to get to act up again so i have a better idea of how to explain it..and of course as it goes..my car is like fu im not going to do it.

pulled the belt off of the pump to make sure it was ok.. there was maybe a mm or less of play? fluid is fine. also a boot is torn on a half shaft..cant remember which side, but i dont think that could cause the problem? i am also hearing some sort of rattle at idle. not sure where it is coming from, thought it was the tentioner pulleys but replaced them and the noise is still there.. it comes and goes. and occasionally there is kinda like a pinging noise... clutch fan was replaced a while ago when it went out so i replaced waterpump at same time. didnt feel like tearing in to it again.. new belt as well. also while driving there there is kind of a tinny rattle like noise coming from passenger side front. hub maybe going out? it is possible i may have a problem longer and didnt notice.. shocks, stabalizers, engine mounts, and possibley one half shaft needs replaced.. dont know if any of this has to do with my current problem or not.. or if i am barking up the wrong tree.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Possibly the disconnect's bearing. Did you check the right shaft for play in the disco?

A little axial play in the pump is normal. Maybe it's starting fail. What condition is the fluid in?

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
disconnect? fluid is pinkish added a stop leak to it at one time... cant remember where it was leaking from though... off hand i want to say around the pully shaft..but its been a few years dont recall.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could be pump going (had that happen to me), or the rack itself (had that starting to happen to me but not fully quit). With the rack starting to get grumpy it would grind sometimes when making right turns at certain loads/speeds, this one turn on my way home I could almost always count on it complaining.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
disconnect?

The right side axle goes into it on the oil pan. This video shows it well and what to check for:

If your power steering fluid is pink, the wrong fluid was used. It should be clear/yellowish when new and just goes brownish as it gets old.

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
so..had a shop lift in the air today so we can see underneath. turns out there is a leak some where. the whole under side of pump is we as well as everything around and below it. he said to start with the pump.. my question is..would this be the pump itself leaking somewhere or the lines connecting to it?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Clean it all really well, then start it up and see where the leak is.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would check lines first, but

"also a boot is torn on a half shaft." If this is out of grease now it could cause a binding/grinding at times.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online