Stealership trying to pull a fast one?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So I get home from work today and start sifting through the mail. Netflix over here, bills over there, junk mail in the circular file... Then I see a very plain and nondescript envelope. The return address says "Program Headquarters" with an address of a town maybe 20 minutes from here. Having my curiosity piqued, I opened it and took a look. It was the below letter from a stealership about an hour's drive north of here. It wasn't entirely clear what their deal was, but of course the first thing I see is the bolded "100% of the manufacturers suggested retail base price when your vehicle was new" part. So I went back to the top and read the whole thing.

Just below the "attention getter" statement, I see it says this sales manager told his sales team to offer what I paid for it, which is much less than new, since I've only had my TB for just over 3 years. I assumed this prize money would have to be used towards a new vehicle from the dealer (any SSes in stock? :undecided:) but after reading the fine print it turns out there's an entry number on the letter, and if that number is drawn, THEN they give you whatever the evaluate your vehicle at (deductions for mileage and whatever they deem 'reconditioning costs')

DealershipLetter.jpg

:undecided: I have a friend that lives up in that area, I might have to ask her to drive by on Thursday and text me a pic of the winning numbers. If I did win, I would consider getting a SWB, to get a bump in MPGs. :yes: But of course, I'm sure they would devalue all my LED and mirror mods, probably offer me $500 and call it a day :frown: :hopeless:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Honestly Carlton...If you want a new vehicle or another TB you can still get it for what the stealership bought it for. It may not be from that stealership, but if you look and search hard enough you can find one that is desperate enough to consider the offer.

I had a Brand spanking new Mazda 3 sport grand touring, fully loaded with every single available option in it right off the loading dock with 0.5 miles on it, and after we "built" the vehicle, the price was $28,000. I walked out with the keys in hand only paying $22,000 plus they paid Tax Title and license. It took me about 8 months to find a workable dealership, and the right car, but it was well worth it.

My envoy was listed at $13,595 I walked out only paying $10,500. But I got raped with interest because my credit is shit lol But I got the truck for what I wanted it for, and that's all that matters.

It did take walking out on the manager after a shit show with the Mazda though. The manager ended up calling me back 3 weeks later and let me know over the phone that he was willing to accept my offer. I picked the car up the next morning.

I know when Mat get's his truck, it's going to be another haggling headache, but I'm sure it will be well worth it!

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Hey Carlton, how's things in the sunny south?

At .55 per mile, it won't take long to bring the trade-in price down to the "what it's really worth" price.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
Honestly Carlton...If you want a new vehicle or another TB you can still get it for what the stealership bought it for. It may not be from that stealership, but if you look and search hard enough you can find one that is desperate enough to consider the offer.

I had a Brand spanking new Mazda 3 sport grand touring, fully loaded with every single available option in it right off the loading dock with 0.5 miles on it, and after we "built" the vehicle, the price was $28,000. I walked out with the keys in hand only paying $22,000 plus they paid Tax Title and license. It took me about 8 months to find a workable dealership, and the right car, but it was well worth it.

My envoy was listed at $13,595 I walked out only paying $10,500. But I got raped with interest because my credit is shit lol But I got the truck for what I wanted it for, and that's all that matters.

It did take walking out on the manager after a shit show with the Mazda though. The manager ended up calling me back 3 weeks later and let me know over the phone that he was willing to accept my offer. I picked the car up the next morning.

I know when Mat get's his truck, it's going to be another haggling headache, but I'm sure it will be well worth it!

:banghead: I hate haggling, I'm WAY too impatient for it, that's why I went through Carmax in the first place. Gimme a bottom line number and a list of what I'm getting for it, and if I like it, we'll shake on it. At the time, my 95 Grand Cherokee was falling apart, I was about to move to the next county in a month, so I needed something big where I could fold everything down flat. Oddly enough my choices came down to a pair of TB EXTs and an Envoy XL. Was that a sign? :biggrin: I tell you what though, you come down here and haggle a price for me, and I'll do some LED mods for you. Deal? :deal:

RayVoy said:
Hey Carlton, how's things in the sunny south?

At .55 per mile, it won't take long to bring the trade-in price down to the "what it's really worth" price.

:tiphat: What's up Ray? Things are good down here, starting to cool off a bit. Yeah, as soon as I saw that range, I figured it would be a lock for the $.55. That would be when I got the cluster reprogrammed for 15,000 miles and said to them "Pay me!!" :satan: :rotfl:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would call them and tell them to learn how to spell. A Chevy dealer who can't even get the spelling of a Chevy car right? 2013 Chevy "Camero"? Really? Lame!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There's an entire parasitical industry whose bottom-feeding purpose in the economy is to design and package up crap offers like this.

Like the cheap oil changes and "inspections" in the shop, they're all designed just to get you in the door on a day that you didn't want to buy a vehicle, in the slight hope that they can turn you.

Shun them. Ignore their pitches. Profit!

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
All they had was an 06 LT EXT in their inventory. Besides the bumpers, I think I've already added all the extra goodies it would have that I want... My next big purchase needs to be a house anyway, that way I've got somewhere to get to know the inner workings of my truck beyond all the fun stuff. :book: :cool:

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I get these in the mail every year. I even went to one with some optimism. Don't bother, you will only be insulted. Also, never ever allow the vehicle keys to leave your sight.

Ray Dockrey

Dec 6, 2011
Yeah there is a dealer about 20 miles to the west of me that offers $10 oil changes. Their whole purpose is to try and sell you other services and maintenance services. I ignore their pushiness and just get the oil changed. Of course I always walk around out on the lot and bug the car salesmen lol.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think I get a key to a new car or free tv or vacation weekly. I dont even read them, just place in circular filing cabinet until trash day.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
^^agreed pretty much what we do. Just rip them and to the recycle bin they go.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I receive similar offers in the mail for our Malibu. I save them to be used as kindling in the firepit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online