Stabilitrak in 4-low?

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
So, I replied on someone else thread and mentioned this in my reply, but wanted to get this out here just in case.. did a search and didn't really see anything that match my problem/question... wrong key words in search?

I just replaced my axle disconnect, long story short, trying to figure out what is causing the humming sound when I accelerate and decelerate and gets louder/quite with the speed of the vehicle, sound coming from passenger side, as my wife says it's louder on her side, and that's how it sounds to me as well...

So far, changed front/rear differential fluid. Transfer case fluid changed... both front wheel bearing changed... and replaced struts while I was at it.. still gets the humming sound.. and after replacing the axle disconnect, went ahead and switch through all the settings, 2/auto/4-hi/4-low.. and when in 4-low, the stabilitrak blinks(3 times??) and then stays lit..

Not sure if that is what's suppose to happen, as I've never really switched to 4-low, maybe once before replacing the axle disconnect, but never paid attention to the dash... is that normal for the stabilitrak to stay lit when in 4-low? I was going to switch back the old actuator and see if it did the same thing...

And as far as the humming sound, only thing left I haven't changed is the cv axle.... :confused:

Also, if this is not in the right forum, please me it or let me know and I can delete and ask in the correct forum.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
4-low shuts down stabilitrac and traction control.

You might check the ujoints with the sound being on accel and decel. My rear was bad when i had that kinda noise years back.

Make sure you have the CV seated all the way in the disco as well. Sometimes it appears to be, but is not fully engaged.

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah, I didn't think the stabilitrak came on before with my old module/disconnect when I did engage it, might try swapping out to my old one and see if it reproduces.

I was thinking the u-joints as well.. as I head some clicking noise today when doing hard turns(left). Recommendations on a particular brand of cv axles? Saw a couple on Amazon with good reviews... Autozone has the duralast for about $25 more than the Cardone from Amazon... probably going to replace both sides....

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYD852/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/cv-axle/duralast-gold-cv-axle/chevrolet/trailblazer-4wd/2006/6-cylinders-s-4-2l-sfi-dohc/33337_706465_12553/

I'll check again the seating of the cv axle, as I heard it kinda click in and couldn't pull it out with some good pulls and it looked really flush against the seal.

Thanks for the input!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Reactions: jpinoy

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Ah, ok. I'll check them out, seems to be in the same ballpark in price as Cardone.

Thanks!

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
So, for an update...

I ended up replacing both cv axles. First was on passenger side where the noise was really noticeable. Noise really didn't go away, was still there with acceleration/deceleration. Replaced the drivers side cv axle, and noise is still present....

When I took out the driver side cv axle, looked inside the dif and bearings/etc all look good from what I could see.

Both wheel bearings/struts/cv axles and disconnect have all been replaced. Fluids for front/rear dif changed out along with transfer case fluid.

Next step is put it up and put it into gear and see if it still makes noise... hope it's not the actual front dif that's making internal noise.. :confused:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Does noise change when 4x4 is engaged?

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
I just actually took it out after reading your comment and switched it to Auto.. .same noise... switched it to 4-hi same noise, but not sure if it was me, didn't sound as loud, but noise was still there.. there is one issue I didn't like...

I pulled over and switched it through all the settings.. just to make sure it was engaging... and I switched it back to 4-hi, and made a u-turn on the road, my TB felt like it wasn't going to make the turn and made an awful noise.. couldn't quite describe it like it was whining really bad during the turn.. after making the turn, drove fine(still with the noise with speed/decrease), made right turn.. left turn.. no probs while in 4-hi..

Pulled over again and tried to make a u-turn, and that awful noise came back and the TB again felt like it wasn't going to make that tight u-turn.... put it back to 2wd and felt the front shake(disengaging), this was 3/4 into the u-turn I took it out of 4-hi and it felt like it wasn't going to make the tight turn while in 4-hi... put it back in 4-hi and drove around the block.. still the same noise with increase/decrease of speed.. .didn't try to make the tight u-turn again.. :no:.. I have a feeling I was experiencing the 'axle warp' I heard about when 4x4 is engaged and being used on dry surfaces and doing those tight turns.. but like I said, when in 4-hi, normal left/right turns, no issues.. the increase/decrease noise is still there..

And 4-hi does engage and I can feel the front tires pull when driving and the drive is definitely different when it's only in 2wd mode.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Axle wrap is what i think you meant, but that is typically rear leaf springs and diff rotation...not the front.

You experienced "crow hopping" and its good you did because it lets you know 4x4 is engaged.

You say the noise matches increase/decrease of speed.... You mean speed of vehicle right? Not speed of engine?

Do you have any shake or shimmy? I am starting to think maybe the tires are noise.whine. You kinda did all the other things. have you had tires rotated or an alignment recently? Is tire wear pattern good? You might try rotating tires and see if noise follows one.

Reactions: jpinoy

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Yes, the noise matches the speed of the vehicle. At a full stop there is no noise(with hitting the gas, you just hear the engine rev normal) and after going pass.. say.. 30mph.. that's when I start hearing the noise pretty good and it's really noticeable.. and the sound gets less after say.. 60mph.. (will confirm on my way home tonight)..

I can let the steering wheel go and it drives straight and I don't see the wheel shaking when I let it go. I was thinking of rotating the tires this weekend. Bought the TB used and these were the tires still on it from when I bought it.. about 2/yrs now, they were pretty much new tires when I go the TB. I was planning on getting new tires this summer anyways. Tires all have good even wear patterns. The rear actually look to have more thread then the fronts, but the tires still got some good life on them.

If it is the tires... well.. I got all new front end parts now.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the follow ups and inputs.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I was having a humming noise coming from my front end when I was in 4hi a couple of months ago. It sounded like it was coming from the right side of the vehicle. After getting it up on a lift, we discovered that the noise was coming from the transfer case. No noise when in 2wd. I was surprised at finding this out. 87K on the clock and all fluids changed at 51K. Found out that the clutch pack in the transfer case was failing. Opted for a rebuilt unit with a 3yr/100K warranty.

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
The humming noise on mine is in 2wd/4-hi, so it didn't make a difference which one I was in, the noise was there.

Today I rotated the tires and the noise seemed to have went to the rear. The noise was still there, but was not as loud like before rotating the tires. Had my wife sit in the back middle seat and she said she could hear it pretty good coming from the rear right side and just a little from the rear left side...

I might have to move my new tire purchase up 2/months and see if the noise completely goes away... I also have some front rotors and pads on the way as it looks like OE, guess not bad with 130K before replacement, no noise or anything, just saw that it was around 1/4" of pad left.... doh!

Planning a complete trans flush next month as well....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was thinking it had to be tires more and more. Hopefully they quiet down some til you get the new ones.

Make sure you get a fresh alignment with the new tires.

jpinoy

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Yes, on the alignment with the new tires. I rolled the front tires that were going to the back around the driveway before putting them on and they rolled straight, no wobble and I couldn't see anything that showed abnormal wear.. but eh... like I said, I was planning on new tires in 2/months anyways.. just glad it's nothing else(front dif :smile: )

The noise is not bad when sitting up front like when the tires were not rotated, so the noise is not bugging me like it was before :smile:.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online