Snowmobiling northern Ontario March 23rd...

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Well this is the latest I've ever sledded, March 23rd and still tomorrow to go. Awesome trails indeed. A few pics of the trails, a rail bed with the train bridge, the frozen Wabi river did about 85 mph (on speedo not gps actual) on that stretch. Was lots of snow and just a fast fast ride. Great times on the snow!

Attachments

• DSC03185.jpg
    DSC03185.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC03186.jpg
    DSC03186.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03187.jpg
    DSC03187.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03189.jpg
    DSC03189.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03190.jpg
    DSC03190.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03191.jpg
    DSC03191.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03192.jpg
    DSC03192.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03193.jpg
    DSC03193.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03194.jpg
    DSC03194.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03198.jpg
    DSC03198.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03199.jpg
    DSC03199.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03200.jpg
    DSC03200.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03201.jpg
    DSC03201.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03202.jpg
    DSC03202.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03207.jpg
    DSC03207.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03208.jpg
    DSC03208.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03210.jpg
    DSC03210.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 10

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Sweet Pics!! :thumbsup:

Looks like a blast. that's something I have never done, ahhh maybe someday. :frown:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Awesome....looks like the trails I use here in my neighborhood. Every time we got a heavy snow this year you had to use it quickly since it kept warming up and raining.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
beautiful scenery shots...

Dec 4, 2011
TexazReece said:
Now that would be the only reason I'd care for snow Nice pics man

You have heard the expression " A face only a Mother could love". Kinda describes a Snowmobiler and winter. We have had snow since the 23rd of Oct and today there is 4' in my front yard. :frown: :frown: A green Easter is toast.

Wish I had the problem you do "cutting the grass". :yes: :thumbsup:

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
mikeinDE said:
Sweet Pics!! :thumbsup:

Looks like a blast. that's something I have never done, ahhh maybe someday. :frown:
A blast indeed, I usually have a grin from ear to ear when I'm riding, especially on the long straight roller coaster trails that give that negative G feeling in your stomach as you drop off the crest of the hills. Ski Doo rentals are available, book a mini holiday next season and come ride our trails for a few days, a GMTNation 4 day snowmobiling meet.

Jkust said:
Awesome....looks like the trails I use here in my neighborhood. Every time we got a heavy snow this year you had to use it quickly since it kept warming up and raining.
We use to ride local here years ago but now when we get snow it usually melts soon after. A lot of time is spent trailering to good conditions. Must be that global warming thing :crazy:

Boricua SS said:
beautiful scenery shots...
I wish I owned a helmet cam so I could post a video of an entire ride, the scenery is amazing and you see lots of stuff on a 150-200 mile day trip. Single pictures don't show enough.

TexazReece said:
I guess I see what you mean, I'd just want it for the snowmobiling part :thumbsup:
Me too, if I couldn't snowmobile then I'd prefer warm sunny days on patios.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
CdnGMan said:
Good lord D, how far north did you have to go to find all that snow??

All the way to New Liskeard, was lots of snow up there, many 8-10' snow drifts on the roads. We rode all around Earlton, Elk Lake, Matchewan and Liskeard. About $360 in fuel for the truck there and back, that's the worst part but glad the cost is split between me and my buddy. The pic on the river is the Wabi river, the trail section is about 5 km long from the mouth at Lake Temiskaming and the huge banks all the way make it like a big bowl riding up one side then over to the other or a high speed run right down the middle, a total rush.

Rent one next year for a couple days and I'll take you on a trip you won't forget. We could go to Haliburton Forest, it's a private snowmobile park with 320 km's of trails. They rent Ski Doo's there and offer cabin accommodations. Snowmobiling Wonderland :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I hate you....

I have not been able to get my sleds out all winter.. It just sits in the garage sulking (3 years now), next to my ATV's that I have not been able to ride in 3 years.

I wonder if the things will even start at this point!

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
TollKeeper said:
I hate you....

I have not been able to get my sleds out all winter.. It just sits in the garage sulking (3 years now), next to my ATV's that I have not been able to ride in 3 years.

I wonder if the things will even start at this point!

Don't hate me, come and join me some time! I do hate the fact that it is such a short season for sledding. I'm envious that you have ATV's for when there is no snow, that's what I need for the other 9 months of the year or 11 1/2 months where I live...

When Hell freezes over, I'm going sledding there too :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's a mighty long way to go sledding dude. Would have to borrow some of your, not taking mine that far! I don't think my trailer would make it.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
We use to ride local here years ago but now when we get snow it usually melts soon after. A lot of time is spent trailering to good conditions. Must be that global warming thing :crazy:

Well it's funny...when it gets cold here, maybe every 5th winter we'll have one of those up and down temp years. Now it's like everyother year. Usually when it snows, it's here for the season. When I got my sleds I bought a brand new Floe Trailer too and I've used it maybe 4 or 5 times in maybe 7 years. I happen to live right by one of the trail heads that everyone trailers from long distances to go sledding. The temps are so up and down now that when we get a dumping, everyone comes out and uses the trails up the first couple days, then the groomers have to come through to salvage them. Rain in Minnesota in January used to be unheard of now well get a foot of snow one week and an inch of rain the next...so frustrating.

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
How did I miss this? From where you took the river picture with the Hwy 11 bridge you could turn 90 degrees to the right and see my brother's backyard and just behind you was the hill where we used to toboggan. I Love that powerline run heading up towards Thornloe.

Where is that old railway bridge? Heading into Elk Lake? It's been a few years since I headed out that way.

The week before this we spent a few days running the area. Highlight was a trip we took from New Liskeard through the backcountry to Temagami. We ran down the lake 15 abreast at 100 km/h into the village for lunch. I think it's about 40 km down the lake! Then a 50 km/h :no: run up the Roosevelt Road. The trails were tabletop and we saw nobody all day.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
muddy tires said:
How did I miss this? From where you took the river picture with the Hwy 11 bridge you could turn 90 degrees to the right and see my brother's backyard and just behind you was the hill where we used to toboggan. I Love that powerline run heading up towards Thornloe.

Where is that old railway bridge? Heading into Elk Lake? It's been a few years since I headed out that way.

The week before this we spent a few days running the area. Highlight was a trip we took from New Liskeard through the backcountry to Temagami. We ran down the lake 15 abreast at 100 km/h into the village for lunch. I think it's about 40 km down the lake! Then a 50 km/h :no: run up the Roosevelt Road. The trails were tabletop and we saw nobody all day.

Lol, small world. Somewhere near that picture on the Wabi river, just up the bank to the right is a big flat field, so it was up the bank...land in the field over n over again, was a blast up there, mint trails! You're right on that train bridge it was between Earlton and Elk Lake. It was a great trip, I hadn't seen 8' snow drifts in years. Only 7 months to go!!!

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Beautiful pics, looks like a great run.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Beautiful pics, looks like a great run.

I bet sleddin pics in Newfoundland would be pretty scenic too! When my neighbor gets his cottage built at Cox's Cove (he has 6 acres overlooking the bay) we're gonna sled there too, I can hardly wait for that trip :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evan.wyatt

Members Online