(Rough Country) Level kit or Lift kit (Mark's)

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Well I have finally decided that I will be lifting the envoy. But, I am still deciding on wheather I should go with a level kit or Mark's kit. I wont be getting my tires until mid-summer to late summer next year.... My question to you is which one will better suite my needs... I will mainly be on sandy or muddy graded dirt roads and Plan to go to the dunes... Nothing extreme, just moderate offroading. I also will be in deep snow 12" to 22" of snow. I like the level kit, because of how it looks, But for the money I'd rather go with mark's. He has helped me a lot with all my questions and I plan to go with his kit. Also, I have 3.42 gears and the G80 with 4wd and I would like to be comparable to my uncle's Call of duty Edition Jeep with the 2.5in lift kit and 255/75/17 bfg mud terrain's. Those are what I want to go with size wise. There I think 32's? What kind of power losses am I looking at? Could this limit my towing? One last question, What am I looking at MPG wise?

Thanks for all of your help!
Trent

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
There is going to be no lift that can help you get through certian aeras. Combining lift and a good set of rubber then will you succeed. IMO
I was in the same boat I didn't know what lift I wanted. I was origionally looking at the RC level, then It was Marks 2.5" then BDS, and I finally ended up with Marks 3". A big factor in my choosing Marks 3" was that it replaced the Upper Strut mount and it was a Solid peice lift spacer.
Are you planing on replaceing your shocks and struts when lifting? I'd suggest SkyJacker S97N8030(Auto Parts Warehouse) and Bilstein Struts F4-BE5-A333-H0 Do you plan on flipping and rotating your UCAs? All in all thats my opinion.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Cable810 said:
There is going to be no lift that can help you get through certian aeras. Combining lift and a good set of rubber then will you succeed. IMO
I was in the same boat I didn't know what lift I wanted. I was origionally looking at the RC level, then It was Marks 2.5" then BDS, and I finally ended up with Marks 3". A big factor in my choosing Marks 3" was that it replaced the Upper Strut mount and it was a Solid peice lift spacer.
Are you planing on replaceing your shocks and struts when lifting? I'd suggest SkyJacker S97N8030(Auto Parts Warehouse) and Bilstein Struts F4-BE5-A333-H0 Do you plan on flipping and rotating your UCAs? All in all thats my opinion.

I have marks 2.5 in mind. I just replaced the front with bilsteins and springs with moogs.... plus the upper strut mount. I plan to go with skyjacker in the rear... I think the biggest factor for me will be new rubber.

I dont plan to flip the UCA's unless I go with the 3" kit...

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
If you didn't replace your upper strut mounts with your struts, I would go with Mark's 3" kit and flip your UCAs. The 2.5 kit is good too, but bigger is better (at least that's what my wife says :crazy:)

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Short Bus said:
If you didn't replace your upper strut mounts with your struts, I would go with Mark's 3" kit and flip your UCAs. The 2.5 kit is good too, but bigger is better (at least that's what my wife says :crazy:)

Lmao! I agree. But I am also not looking forward to some kids at the high school I go to, Saying that my lift looks retarted without tires.... Because my delay is goona be on tires.

Also, I wonder what the power difference will be, Being with 3.42 gears and 32's???

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Check Craigslist for some cheap 265/70/17's to get you by. I got these for $100

0114121638a.jpg

0114121638.jpg

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thats a great deal! I am goona start looking, Hopefully I can catch one just like it....
:undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
03envoy said:
...But I am also not looking forward to some kids at the high school I go to, Saying that my lift looks retarted without tires.... ...

1) You can't do tires first, then the lift.They're trying to dictate YOUR spending priorities and budget. Don't let 'em.
2) You have no need to seek the approval of others to fulfill YOUR mission for the vehicle.
3) You should not give any weight to the disapproval of others. Next they'll think they have a vote on where and how you drive it.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
It's going to look just as silly with a 2.5" lift and stock tires as it will with the 3" lift and stock tires. Get the bigger lift. The upper mount is a bit more durable with the 3" lift and the replacement bushings are cheaper. It's win win. You'll easily fit 32s with the spacers and stock wheels. Treadwrights are $111 a piece... They're a cheap option and reliable.
To hell with what everyone else thinks. Go big and get it done.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The 2.5 kit can be installed in stages so you can level it until you get tires then add the top plate and rear spacer quite easily for the full lift.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
don't forget to budget in wheel spacers/adapters in your planning.
You could always get the lift and wait to install it once you get your tires.
I found though that for beach sand (I would expect the same for snow) that I drug a good bit less after the lift.

I have the RC lift with Mark's top spacer, Z71s in the rear with the RC spacer.
I expect that would be really close to Mark's 2.5 lift.
I'm also running 255/70/16 which is only 1/2" taller than stock.
Larger tires would look better but it doesn't look goofy.

You really can't go wrong with any of those 3 lifts for 32's but not many people ever said "Man I wish I had less lift!"

View attachment 23794

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 208

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
but not many people ever said "Man I wish I had less lift!"

I did this day....

8bl.jpg

Took 3 people standing on that corner to slide under the tree.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I did this day....
Took 3 people standing on that corner to slide under the tree.

LOL Kyle, there and maybe a few parking garages I expect.....
I guess roof armor is next on your list!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wont even attempt parking garages anymore, esp when the basket is up there.

I did get a nice scrape on the roof that day and a couple more in a similar situation wheeling in TN. It all part of the game though.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thats a good point Roadie.... If I got with mark's 3in that will put me basically level right? I think I may be headed towards mark's 3in....:undecided:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Everybody's springs and stuff are slightly different. If you value being level for some unknown reason, just get your tape measure and find out exactly how many inches you need in the front to make the wheel well top edge the same distance from the pavement as the rear.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
1) You can't do tires first, then the lift.They're trying to dictate YOUR spending priorities and budget. Don't let 'em.
2) You have no need to seek the approval of others to fulfill YOUR mission for the vehicle.
3) You should not give any weight to the disapproval of others. Next they'll think they have a vote on where and how you drive it.

I'm just giving my opinion....

I jumped the gun on this sorry....

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
I am just giving him MY opinoin! I'm not trying to sway him in any way nor spend HIS money! He was and or is still undecided so he posted a question asking for Opinions and thats what I did was give him, my opinion. Yes he dosn't have to seek the help of others but have we not been around this block before???
Did you miss his post #5 (that I quoted)? I'm advising him to not get bullied by his high school buddies. :confused:

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Did you miss his post #5 (that I quoted)? I'm advising him to not get bullied by his high school buddies. :confused:

I didn't... I jumped the gun on this sorry.....:redface:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:

I am not going to let that bother me. After seeing some pictures of some envoys with the 3in, I am going to go with it. Also, after thats bought I am going to go with 265/70/17's. Possibly Nitto's..... Thanks again for all of your help!:yes:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Well I have some good news and some bad news... Lol I just placed the order for marks 2.5in kit! Bad news is I didnt get the 3in kit... But I just replaced the upper strut mount and rear shocks so I didnt want to waste the money I put into the upper strut mounts... But I cant wait to get it installed! Thanks for all your opinions! I appreaciate it and hope to be offroad soon.:yes:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Cable810 said:
Looks good!! :thumbsup:

Thanks! My dad doesnt like the ride lmao. I love the ride though! Drives just like I wanted! These were took just before I took her to the dealer.....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Needs tires :biggrin:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Sparky said:
Needs tires :biggrin:

Yes sir! It looks a little odd without bigger tires. But I can deal with it for awhile.:redface: Thanks though:cool:

I am more excited to be on the trails with the Envoy then My sled!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Did you get wheel spacers?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online