Reverse / Backup Camera Installation

granby119

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Has anyone installed a reverse cam in their TB? I already have this Pioneer HU:
Pioneer AVH-P3400BH DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

So I was thinking of sticking with the same brand to avoid any compatibility issues and ordering this camera:
Pioneer ND-BC5 Universal rear-view camera at Crutchfield.com

From my understanding, all I would really have to do is mount the cam, run the wire through the truck and to the HU and plug it in for it to work as there was already a reverse power wire that connected between the HU and the GMOS.
I figure mounting the cam right in the middle, above the license plate would be best. Will I have to drill any holes or are there preexisting ones that can work? And what path is best suited for getting the wire to the front dash? Thanks for any help.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
just my two cents but most reverse cameras have the same hook ups why go out and spend almost 250 dollars when ebay has them all over for 50.00 dollars ??

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Black_tb said:
just my two cents but most reverse cameras have the same hook ups why go out and spend almost 250 dollars when ebay has them all over for 50.00 dollars ??

[ebay]120880695065[/ebay]

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I bought mine on eBay for 19.99 and it has worked great for 3 years now. It even has night vision. All cameras are going to have a power/ground wire and an RCA wire that plugs into the HU. Mine was one that mounts to the license plate bolts. I ran the wire thru the license plate light hole into the tailgate and up thru the rubber boot that connects to the back of the truck by the tailgate hinges. From there back down the pillar to the floor and then all the way to the front under the door sills/trim.

granby119

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Hotness said:
I bought mine on eBay for 19.99 and it has worked great for 3 years now. It even has night vision. All cameras are going to have a power/ground wire and an RCA wire that plugs into the HU. Mine was one that mounts to the license plate bolts. I ran the wire thru the license plate light hole into the tailgate and up thru the rubber boot that connects to the back of the truck by the tailgate hinges. From there back down the pillar to the floor and then all the way to the front under the door sills/trim.

Ok, thanks. That helps. Because I had originally seen an install guide where they wired it all through the head liner the whole way and I didn't really like that.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
:hijack: sorry just as long as were on the subject has any body done both with the license plate and in the bumper i really want a clean look but dont know if i want to drill into the bumper

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
So my camera came today, going to try and wire it up tommorrow after dinner. With my pioneer I am able to turn the camera on when ever I want, but I also want it to come on automaticly when i shift in to reverse. The camera only came with a positive and negative wire, whats the best/easiest way to wire this up? can i tap in to some wire in the back or do i need to run it all up to the front harness?

*edit* I think I figured it out, the power is just that a full power, the radio gets the signal that it is in reverse then picks up the signal from the video cable in the back correct?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Any reverse camera will work as stated. Mine was like $30 it is HD, waterproof one with 170* wide angle view.

It has a flat bracket that mounts wherever you want it, i did mine right between the license plate lights. Drilled a hole and put 2 screws in to mount it. I ran the wires along the headliner, down the a pillar and to the radio. Very easy to do actually.

Me007Gold, there is a wire that is marked reverse on the back of the headunit, this gets hooked into the reverse light, or anything that triggers the reverse lights to come on. That should just change to a view of the reverse camera. The camera should always have power (with ACC on) and when you either tell the HU to turn it on or shift into reverse it allows the signal to show the image that the camera is capturing.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Got it just about done, just need to find a power source, is there any wire i can tap into in the hatch?

*edit*So after a bit of googleing, it seems the reverse wire at the taillight is the green wire, I can just tap in to that correct? I want to run as little wire as possible.

*edit again* There are only two wires from my camera, a red one and a black one. I want to be able to use the camera as both reverse and be able to turn it on when ever. Is that possible with just two wires?

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
This would be a cool mod with the stock Bose NAV system.

You can add a backup camera to the stock nav system, but we have to open up the radio to install the interface and the interface itself isn't cheap!

There are only two wires from my camera, a red one and a black one. I want to be able to use the camera as both reverse and be able to turn it on when ever. Is that possible with just two wires?

You would ground the black wire and connect the red wire to accessory power with a 1amp fuse for protection. Personally I don't like to do that because your camera is then ON whenever the vehicle is on and being that you hardly use it it's just a lot of wear on the camera. But if you think you need to be able to turn it on while driving, that's the way to do it. Then just hook the reverse wire input on the radio to the light green backup wire so it knows to pop the camera image on. You would want to put a 1amp fuse right where you tap into the light green wire for protection as well.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
MMIN said:
You would ground the black wire and connect the red wire to accessory power with a 1amp fuse for protection. Personally I don't like to do that because your camera is then ON whenever the vehicle is on and being that you hardly use it it's just a lot of wear on the camera. But if you think you need to be able to turn it on while driving, that's the way to do it. Then just hook the reverse wire input on the radio to the light green backup wire so it knows to pop the camera image on. You would want to put a 1amp fuse right where you tap into the light green wire for protection as well.

Got ya! Thanks!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Ugh! I am going to have to take it back to where I got the head unit installed at. I was able to get the camera working, however no matter what mode it was in battery/ground it changed to the camera view after a few seconds, no matter what gear I was in. Turning the camera off fixed that problem, but I dont want to have to turn the camera on and off every single time

Jeenyus

Jan 7, 2012
I know this thread is old but I just got a backup cam for my pioneer, its metal and was under 20 bucks. Ill be doing a how to on it when I install it this weekend!

tas0918

Mar 17, 2013
Jeenyus said:
I know this thread is old but I just got a backup cam for my pioneer, its metal and was under 20 bucks. Ill be doing a how to on it when I install it this weekend!

Just incase anyone else needs this

I have a pioneer 2300dvd and as of 30 mins ago did the camera install

Easy as heck

Link has the pictures it you need them

In short my camera works as normal put in reverse bam it comes on flip switch while driving if i want and it comes on flip switch again its off

Enjoy

Oh yeah first time poster I own a Toyota just thought I would help

Backup Camera Switching Modification - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

1. Cut the camera input trigger wire coming from the reverse light wire that runs from the kick panel.

2. Run the power wire for the camera to the front of the car.

3. Splice the H/U end of the trigger wire from step 1 and the camera power wire together and attach a female spade connector.

4. Put another space connector on the reverse light end of the wire from step 1.

5. Tap into a +12V accessory line - I used one of the cigarette plug wires

6. Cut a hole and mount a SPDT On/On rocker switch into it. I mounted mine just above the 12V outlet of the center console. It is completely out of the way but still very easy to access.

7. Connect the spliced H/U trigger wire and camera power wires ino the common terminal of the switch.

8. Connect the remaining wires with spade connectors on the two open terminals of the switch (doesn't really matter which).

Now you can have the switch on one side, which will activate the camera and H/U backup function only when the car is shifted into reverse.

When the switch is on the other side, it manually powers the camera and activates the H/U backup function.

It's really simple when you think about it, but quite handy and kind of neat to be able to do, especially without any relays or diodes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online