SOLVED! replacement cat

jak03TB

Original poster
May 7, 2020
FL, USA
I need to find a replacement catalytic converter for my 03 ext. tb. I was having some overheating issues which lead back to a hole in the coolant loop (sucking air) after that problem was fixed I could not get the engine to rev over 1500 rpms. this lead to removing the o2 sensor for testing and I can now get up to speed without bogging down, so i am certain the cat is plugged. Im looking for a bolt on catalytic converter as I cant do the welding atm. is there a bolt on converter that people have had good success with? I am located in florida and we don't have any emissions to deal with. also so i dont prematurely wear out the new one should i be replacing/ testing anything else besides the t-stat?

jak03TB

Original poster
May 7, 2020
FL, USA
are there any considerations/differences between the brands or personal experience out there? i assume the fitment for all ext. converters should be the same.

Mathoran

May 3, 2012
I have the Walker on my Envoy. Its smaller so its easier to install but after a few years I started getting p0420 codes so I just threw on an anti fouler. I had to cut the hangers off the original one to get it out without removing anything else.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's the thing with any aftermarket cat, they won't last as long as the original. Looking at those ones at RA, the Davico look more like the original casings, round and fully welded, while all the other brands all look like a universal cat was welded onto the pipes. And the pipes look better. Just an observation, not any experience.

5547548_3.jpg
Cat.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't remember one there. IIRC it's a ball and socket. If it needs one, it should be easy to find one locally.

jak03TB

Original poster
May 7, 2020
FL, USA
i appreciate all the help from the community. i will update once i get the cat reinstalled.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Get the OEM doughnut gasket if you can. There is a reason the aftermarket one is so cheap.

I went through three of the aftermarket gaskets before I realized that the OEM quality is much much higher than the aftermarket.

The aftermarket ones tended to burn out in a year or so and then you have to do the job again.

Reactions: Mooseman

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I bought the Magnaflow complete set. Pipes from manifold to muffler. lil over $1000. Couldnt find a shop that would install them. They all said Magnaflow were cheap Chinese with a MF heat shield wrapped around them and wouldnt even pass state inspection brand new.. Ended up taking to a shop that tuned out the cats and it passed inspection yesterday.

jak03TB

Original poster
May 7, 2020
FL, USA
thanks to everyone for the help and guidance. these are the products I went with:
1694263795357.png
1694263953902.png
I also wanted to clarify as this may help someone else who is doing a cat replacement. there is only a gasket on the inlet side. the outlet side just mates together. so don't bother searching for a product that you cant find and dont need. i had no issues with the install of the davico cat. the t-stat is functioning properly and everything seems to be running correctly. it feels so good to have her back on the road. at 212k miles i think the cat just gave up. i couldnt find any obvious reason for its failure. i will update if there is any issues with this brand cat.

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I pulled my Cat pipe today and it had a rear gasket.

Same as the front one.

See picture.

Is this not supposed to be there?

Attachments

• P9090032.JPG
    P9090032.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 0

jak03TB

Original poster
May 7, 2020
FL, USA
has your cat been repaired before? mine had not been touched and was original from factory. it did not have one on the outlet side. i could not find any reference to a rear gasket anywhere either. im not saying im right, this is just what i found. i will try to dig through the haynes manual and see if it references it in there. if it is supposed to be there we should be able to locate a gm part #

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Maybe my cat pipe was an aftermarket?

It was hard to get a good angle but I snapped some pics as I was putting it back together.

1) without the gasket
2) with the gasket
3) all tightened up

I believe without the gasket this joint would leak like a sieve on my car.

Attachments

• P9090033.JPG
    P9090033.JPG
    596.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P9090034.JPG
    P9090034.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P9090035.JPG
    P9090035.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 2

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think someone added a gasket where none is required. And since the actual flange was left exposed, it rusted so it may leak.

Reactions: mrrsm

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Here's what I don't get, look closely at picture, notice the expanded shoulder pointed at by the red arrow? It's at a depth that the short little steel bump pointed at by the blue arrow would never reach.

There are two steps before the pipe diameter. The steel "blue" bump reaches about halfway into the muffler pipe and fills the first "step" and the gasket fills the second step of the union.

It's been like this for years, more than 5, and it doesn't leak., I'm sure it would if I took the gasket out and not just because of rust.

Is this a difference between Base model and XL? Or just a bunch of aftermarket stuff the previous owner installed?

Attachments

• P9090033R.JPG
    P9090033R.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 2

jak03TB

Original poster
May 7, 2020
FL, USA
here is a few things i think may help. this is a picture of my outlet pipe reinstalled. the shoulder of one end is just pressure fit against the other. there is a gap between the retaining brackets but with the shoulder going into the outlet pipe is a very snug fit.
20230911_090808.jpg

the haynes manual was extremely vague and had no pictures of any merit. i was however able to find a few other pictures online, so it must be true...

1694438391688.png
this magnaflow kit says: Gasket Or Seal Included: Yes
there is only a gasket pictured for the inlet pipe.

there is also a diagram i found:
1694438633111.png
if you see there is a gasket and part number on the inlet side. on the outlet side it says (gasket NR)
i am ASSUMING the nr is not required or something similar because there is no icon or part number.

All of this being said if your outlet pipe leaks with out the gasket and doesn't leak with the gasket i don't see the harm in having one in there but maybe i'm wrong. i hope this helps.

*edit* as far as difference between swb and lwb, I think it is only the length of the pipe.

Last edited:

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Do you think it's possible that the engineers designed the joint to accept a gasket and then later decided it wasn't necessary?

Next time I'm under there I'll remove the gasket and see if my hunch that it will leak is correct. Maybe I'm wrong and it won't leak and the gasket isn't necessary.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check to make sure the mating surfaces are clean and rust free.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online