rear shocks and air compressor relationship....

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Had a question regarding the rear shocks and air compressor. I'm pretty sure all 4 shocks are done, the ride just isn't the same anymore. So I noticed a while ago (maybe when the shocks started getting bad) that my rear air bag compressor starting to turn on more often than before. Now it probably turns on about 6 times every five minutes. The question is, do you think the bouncing of the rear end would cause the compressor to turn on more frequently because it bounces into the ride height limit and tells compressor to turn on? I wonder if changing the shocks would solve the issue of the compressor turning on so frequently... Any thoughts?

Gonna get Bilstein shocks.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Had a question regarding the rear shocks and air compressor. I'm pretty sure all 4 shocks are done, the ride just isn't the same anymore. So I noticed a while ago (maybe when the shocks started getting bad) that my rear air bag compressor starting to turn on more often than before. Now it probably turns on about 6 times every five minutes. The question is, do you think the bouncing of the rear end would cause the compressor to turn on more frequently because it bounces into the ride height limit and tells compressor to turn on? I wonder if changing the shocks would solve the issue of the compressor turning on so frequently... Any thoughts?

Gonna get Bilstein shocks.

The Electronic leveling system is supposed to ignore fast changes in the sensors for changes in ride height. At least that is the design. So unless the control module is defective, it should not run often when driving.

The questions are:
Does it require frequent compressor cycles while the engine is running and parked?
Does the back sag or lower when left to sit overnight?
Can you get the rapid cycles to happen just by bouncing on the rear bumper when sitting still and engine is running?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
BRomanJr said:
The Electronic leveling system is supposed to ignore fast changes in the sensors for changes in ride height. At least that is the design. So unless the control module is defective, it should not run often when driving.

The questions are:
Does it require frequent compressor cycles while the engine is running and parked?
Does the back sag or lower when left to sit overnight?
Can you get the rapid cycles to happen just by bouncing on the rear bumper when sitting still and engine is running?

So I've been doing some monitoring, answers are;

1. No it doesn't cycle when the engine is running and parked.
2. It does sag a little overnight, maybe 1/4", but I think that's about normal.
3. No I can't make the pump turn on while bouncing it in the driveway.

I also noticed that the noise that I thought was the pump......might not be the pump. I can't say that I've ever heard the noise while driving in 3rd, now I'm thinking it's the DOD because I read somewhere that DOD is not active in 3rd. I always get the noise in "D" coasting to a stop sign or light foot driving around town. Going to do some searching and maybe start a new thread called "DOD Noise".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danbrennan

Members Online