Rate this Used Airfilter

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So when I bought my oil change supplies a few months ago (because the good stuff was on sale), I also bought a new air filter. I though, I'll look at the old filter and if its dirty, Ill change it, and if not, I'll just keep the new one until next time.

So this is the OLD one, I realized I can't tell. It doesn't look too bad to my unexperienced eyes but I had no clue so I ended up tossing it anyway and using the new one.

But now I'm just curious, was this air filter still good or should it have been replaced?

It was probably a year or two old I think. Possibly more. But I don't drive that many miles in a year, maybe 7000 at most, usually less. AND I drive at night more than during the day so I figure theres probably a lot less road dust kicked up by other cars.

airfilter.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In the old days, we'd check by putting a shop light behind and look at how much light gets through compared to a new one. It was time to replace when it hardly lets light through.

As a comparison, I replaced mine at 50k km on my '21 diesel Sierra and it still looked decent while my air filter life monitor said it was at 40% life left.

Which reminds me, I should replace the one in my TB.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So you went 30,000 miles on one air filter? Geez I guess I replaced mine a little early. Too bad its in a trash bag full of used oil and a filthy used oil filter. Oh well.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Different factors come into play on when to change. Weather like winder with road salt being kicked up .. driving on dusty roads .. etc .. But Mooseman is correct on how to check. I usually change mine at least once a year regardless

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
The right side in that image might just be lighting, but it looks a bit grey. I tend to change mine every year, or at least check it. Back when I needed to be a bit more careful with my $, Mooseman's method was how I decided to change or not to change. I have an LED shop light that fits down inside the filter nicely, and has side lighting.

Now I just change it so at least I *know* it's been changed, and don't have to remember when I changed it last. The Mark I memory isn't always such a good thing to rely on. :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online