Rainier shift lever moves truck stays in park

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
05 rainier shift lever moves trans stays in park. Hope easy fix

Any suggestions?
Sounds to me like your shift linkage bushing may have broke and the shift cable is just free hanging. Crawl underneath your rig and look at the driver's side of the transmission. See if you can spot the shift cable hanging off of the shift lever.
If you're in a bind, you can still get it into gear by manually moving that lever. I did this for 2 days once while I was waiting for my replacement bushing to arrive (no Auto parts stores had any, go figure!). Just make sure your parking brake is on when moving that lever! And move it gently to keep track of what gear it is in. Don't wanna have to keep getting up to look at the dash.

Last edited:

johnbuick

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Cookeville
Sounds to me like your shift linkage bushing may have broke and the shift cable is just free hanging. Crawl underneath your rig and look at the driver's side of the transmission. See if you can spot the shift cable hanging off of the shift lever.
If you're in a bind, you can still get it into gear by manually moving that lever. I did this for 2 days once while I was waiting for my replacement bushing to arrive. Just make sure your parking brake is on when moving that lever! And move it gently to keep track of what gear it is in. Don't wanna have to keep getting up to look at the dash.
Great information. Thank you for quick reply

Reactions: Capote

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You, sir, are a brave man. :smiley_kill::yikes::yikes::yikes:
Depends how well you trust the parking brake lol. When my bushing broke I had someone hold the brakes while I shifted it because parking brake was way out of adjustment.
I trust my truck and I wasn't going to let this hinder me driving all over (was in the Army at this time and had to drive back and forth on post all the time).

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Anytime brother:2thumbsup:

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
What's the different between the Doorman 14055 and Doorman 14057? The 55 just comes with two orange bushings, the 57 comes with the two orange and two while bushings. Which one do I need1? '03 TB LT Automatic

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I remember using the Dorman one with the two white and orange bushings. I can't remember which bushing it was, but I did have to grind a tiny bit off with a Dremel to be able to push it through properly.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
14055 is what you need. You'll use the clearish bushing at the trans.

Source: Have used a few kits.

Have heard that the opaque white bushings is for the shifter side but have never been on that end of it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.