Radiator cap issue

Vonhendon

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I discovered a water pump leak a few week's ago after my friend pressure checked it but it had been going on for awhile because I would smell it but there was no physical evidence. Every time I would check the radiator level it would be full but Now I'm thinking I never checked the overflow. So I'm getting ready to buy a water pump and have my friend install it but before I do that there's a new shop in town giving free computer engine scan's, they check out my vehicle and everything check's out pretty fair but they tell me my vehicle takes dexcool and you have green stuff in it. So I know last year I had an emergency situation where I was losing coolant and needed to get it fixed right away so I took it to the stealership but I couldn't remember what they did, but I keep all my receipts and while going through them I discovered they had replaced the water pump.
I take my vehicle back to the stealership and although the part is less then a year old I'm a 1K over the mileage and like I said I've been smelling something for along time but couldn't find it. They say we'll work with you,and I'm like here we go again. In the end they replace the bad water pump at no charge because of manufacture warranty.
After I get home and the vehicle cool's down I take the radiator cap off and check the level and just give it a once over but I noticed it was stiff coming off and putting it back on and there is fluid dripping from it now. I don't want it to crack it's an AC Delco one. I want some suggestions on a better cap.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Vonhendon said:
... they tell me my vehicle takes dexcool and you have green stuff in it.

GM brand Dexcool is orange. Prestone and others make a green Dexcool compatible coolant. There's another recent thread that mentioned green coolant after dealer service. Strange that they wouldn't be using (and charging for) the GM brand.

Vonhendon said:
I take the radiator cap off and check the level and just give it a once over but I noticed it was stiff coming off and putting it back on and there is fluid dripping from it now. I don't want it to crack it's an AC Delco one. I want some suggestions on a better cap.

Radiator caps are pretty simple. Spring loaded rubber seal that opens at 15 psi. You can have it pressure tested to see if it's leaking. If you want a replacement and don't like the AC Delco cap, you can go with STANT. They've been making radiator caps, fuel caps and other parts for years.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online