Radiator and Rack & Pinion Replacement

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
I took my 2005 Envoy SLT (144k miles) into the repair shop today and they said my radiator needs to be replaced (leaking). They also told me that my outer tie rods are loose and that my rack and pinion is leaking. I would like to try and save some money but I also don't want to get in over my head. Are either of these projects doable? I have replaced brakes, done tuneups, changed oil, etc. Which one of the two is easier? Thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Radiator is definitely doable. R&P is more involved with the removal of its crossmember and disconnecting the lines. If you look at the manuals (link in my sig) it will give you more info.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I'd stick with AC Delco...I've had good luck with Denso as well and Modine (if they're still around)

AC Delco #15196385
It's on Amazon for $150.78 with Prime 3day shipping at the moment

Ditto on the Modine. They've always been very good quality. I'm also unsure with all the brand consolidations if they're still available, however.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Modine is still making automotive radiators - but I can't find an application lookup on their site. Tried 'Trailblazer' in their generic search box - nothing.

They do say to contact them for assistance - and if they ever made one for GMT360s, I'm sure they've got to have some NOS on hand (at least for the 4.2L, if not the 5.3) :undecided:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, I had good luck with the Chinese made ones from Prime Choice Auto Parts. $60 USD for our trucks.
http://www.primechoice.com/

That being said, I'd stay away from their brake parts.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Honestly, I had good luck with the Chinese made ones from Prime Choice Auto Parts. $60 USD for our trucks.
http://www.primechoice.com/

That being said, I'd stay away from their brake parts.

Understood. How long have you had the PrimeChoice installed? (or 'did have', if it was in a vehicle you no longer have)

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I'd go to your local O'Reilly and just buy the radiator there - on stuff like radiators they just don't seem to last like they used to and it's so nice being able to have a warranty replacement the same day anywhere in the country without having to deal with the hassles of shipping it, getting it replaced under warranty, etc.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Understood. How long have you had the PrimeChoice installed? (or 'did have', if it was in a vehicle you no longer have)

It's been in at least 4 years, if not more. I plan on taking it out, putting it aside and keeping it as a spare for the '07.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online