Put on the lift and went and Tried to get an alignment....

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
So I got the lift on this weekend and I went to Belle Tire looking to get an alignment and I get a call saying I have a loose outer tie rod and Lower ball joint. But, Prior to this I took the envoy in and got the bilsteins put on at a different shop with no issues and alignment was perfect. I am not sure if they are busting my balls to get money or they really are bad? should I just get an alignment now and then do the tie rod and Ball joint later? Will it hurt to drive a couple thousand without getting them replaced? Thanks
Trent

I knew something was going to possibly be bad with putting the lift on, But I just wont have time in my scheadule for this for a month or two. With there quote at $471. They are dreaming.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
If it were me and the outer tie rod and ball joint are no good then I would replace them, tires aren't cheap. You're going to look at them yourself so you know what condition they really are in. Nothing worse than trying to decide when the shop is on the phone and you can't see it for yourself.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Yes, tires are not cheap. These are gettin to needin replacement with 265's lol. But I just got the parts 30min ago from advance auto. I am going to do the outer tie rod soon for sure but I am weerry about the ball joint. Is it difficult? ETA on replacement? If I was to only do the tie rod you think I could get away and do the ball joint later?Thanks
Trent

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I've done plenty of ball joints in the past, and i'd say these were the hardest. I'd say they aren't difficult up until you get to the ball joint itself. They're really difficult to press out.

When I did mine, my Trailblazer was torn apart for a week and I made several attempts to find the correct tools for the job. Once I had the right ball joint service set, it wasn't too bad.

I made this how-to on replacing the lower ball joints. http://gmtnation.com/showthread.php?p=89896

But there's an even better one on here somewhere with more detail than mine.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Got the parts and going to atempt tomorrow. I am going to rent the damn $160 kit. Hopefully I can knock it out in less then 4 hours..... Thanks for the write up! Tie rod should be nothing. Thanks again!
Trent

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
stormsurge said:
I heated mine up and they came right out. Putting them back in was easy too.

Did you just heat up the base of it and sledge it out? lol

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
bigytwotone said:
it took me 1hr a side to do both ball joints and all i did was pound them out.

Moog ball joints are amazing quailty. I tried to take off the tie rod and heated the sheet out of it and I could not loosen it. So I said screw it taking it in tomorrow or today for a quick swap of parts at my local auto place. I gave it my all. Thats all I can do.:hissyfit:

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
Why didn't you go to the same shop as before. The best way to keep from getting ripped off is to find shops you trust and stick with them.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
IslandRunner said:
Why didn't you go to the same shop as before. The best way to keep from getting ripped off is to find shops you trust and stick with them.

I just went to belle tire because I felt better with them giving the alignment. But, I have another shop I go to and that I know them personally that does all the things I can't or dont have access to the tools needed to do the work. Welding, engine work etc.... I would have gone to Belle but they wanted $471......:eek::rotfl:

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:
Moog ball joints are amazing quailty. I tried to take off the tie rod and heated the sheet out of it and I could not loosen it. So I said screw it taking it in tomorrow or today for a quick swap of parts at my local auto place. I gave it my all. Thats all I can do.:hissyfit:

MAPP torch, it's $30 or so and can heat up 1/2" and better rod cherry red. Tie rod end puller will pop it loose from the spindle. Heating up the tie rod end where it screws into the tie rod would have taken 10-15 minutes a side, but it would have spun right off.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
v7guy said:
MAPP torch, it's $30 or so and can heat up 1/2" and better rod cherry red. Tie rod end puller will pop it loose from the spindle. Heating up the tie rod end where it screws into the tie rod would have taken 10-15 minutes a side, but it would have spun right off.

Where is the best place to get the Mapp Gas Torch?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
03envoy said:
Any local store that has it in stock. :wink:

Flammable compressed gas cylinders are not a mail order item. :biggrin:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thats what I thought I wasn't sure though........:wink:

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:

Yeah, like roadie mentioned. Mom and pop hardware/plumbing stores usually have em and you're gauranteed to find em at the big box hardware stores. It's the yellow canister.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online