Problem With Gas Gauge

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
Hey guys. The gas gauge on my 2004 TrailBlazer has been stuck past full since my last fill up (Saturday I think). It seems to work properly as if it had a full tank of gas but I know better than that. Lets just say I have a spirited driving style. My guess is that it should be at about 3/4 to 7/8 tank by now. I think I will go to the gas station tomorrow and see how much it takes.

So my questions are:
Is there a common failure point in this system?
Is there a chance that this is a freak thing and will correct itself?
Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My fuel sending unit is shot....I go by how many gallons of fuel is used. I fill up after i use 20 gal.

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys. The sending unit is kind of what I figured. Unfortunately I don't have time to drop the tank right now (nor do I want to) so I'll have to pay attention until I can. It might have to wait until spring. It shouldn't be a surprise to me as it's taken quite a few trips around the block in it's time. The good thing is I don't have to be very far from home so it's not like I'd be stranded for very long. Thanks again.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
there is a TSB out on the sending unit. GM will split the cost with you if you have under 120k miles.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:
there is a TSB out on the sending unit. GM will split the cost with you if you have under 120k miles.

Not for the 2004 model.

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
navigator said:

I'm not even close on mileage either. I've got another 100,000 on top of that

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
When it gets warmer it really is not a difficult job. Just take your time and have a mostly empty tank.

amweaver47

Original poster
May 15, 2012
I filled up and the gauge started working again. I have my fingers crossed but I half expect this to happen again. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Nope not fixed....it'll quit on u again and again and again and again.......

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I use an obd2 scan gauge to monitor my fuel remaining. Plus it comes in handy to clear the code the failed sending unit frequently sends.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online