power steering fluid - valvoline maxlife atf ?

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
Hi Folks,
Thinking about changing out the power steering fluid on mom's 2008 4.2L Trailblazer with 105k miles.

RockAuto brings up Prestone PS fluid and Valvoline Max Life ATF as options. I happen to already have 2/3rd of a gallon of the Valvoline, and thought I'd check to see if RockAuto is correct.

Thanks for any info/opinions.

1677038622949.png
1677038672096.png

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
You can use either, if you want, it's your call. I don't believe it came from the factory with atf in in it, for what that's worth. For some reason my memory, says ps fluid is a little thicker, but that's probably just in my head.
Edit. One benefit of using ps fluid is, if you find a puddle, it's easier to determine the cause. ATF reddish, motor oil brown, PS fluid light tan to brown

Last edited:
Reactions: sashainwy

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I use Dex VI ATF and my 2011 Caprice calls for that too. However there may be something to the thickness thing as I blew out my spliced cooler line when it was -34c. There is a thinner version of PS fluid for colder climates but I don't like that idea during the hot months.

From my research, GM vehicles can use ATF, however, imports have special additives in theirs, which is why they have their own.

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
Lubegard Synthetic Power steering fluid
a quart and a turkey baster. Suck out all you can get from the reservoir. Fill & lock to lock a time or two. Suck out and fill
The protectrant will stop pump whine dead in it's tracks. I've seen it work on a couple of cars

JS

sashainwy

Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
Wyoming
I got this done using the Valvoline Max Life ATF. I disconnected the return line from the underside of the reservoir, and bent the rubber return line down. Basically aiming it downward so that when fluid came out of it, it's headed downward where my flat-ish plastic catch container was.

I then used this process multiple times: top off fluid in reservoir, and turn wheels lock to lock till a good amount of fluid was pumped out. I'll call it the "top off and pump" (TOAP). Three times I did the TOAP with the car off. Then it occurred to me that I might not be cycling fluid through the powersteering pump since the vehicle wasn't running. So I did the TOAP one time with the vehicle running for about 10 seconds. I then followed up with a couple more TOAPs with the vehicle off. It was pure clean clear red coming out of the return line before the last two TOAPs.

I was confident that the vast majority of old fluid was cycled out. Hooked up the return line. Topped off the fluid. Let it sit over night. Drove into town the next morning, and checked the level when I returned. Added just a smidge to get it to the top mark hot. Never whined during the procedure or after. I'm calling it good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online