Possible Tranny Problems?

2004tb

Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hey Guys

I need some help here. I just got a 2004 T.B. I6 It seems to have a vibration or humming noise when shifting into overdrive( around 1500rpms. ) Usually it occurs about 50mph. The TB has 58k on it. I'm not sure if tranny fluid has been changed, or if it a possible tranny mount. I don't think it is wheel bearings, i had an 05tb changed those on that one but doesn't seem like the same noise. Tranny shifts fine, goes with no problem just that humming noise worried about possible problems. Fluid looks good and the level is fine. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Looks like it has new front end parts on it could it possibly be a wheel alignment problem?

Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

Basic question to figure out first is the noise/vibration related to road speed or engine RPM. Coasting or with torque being applied?

If you fill out your profile it could save time and other questions, such as "is it a 4WD"? If so, the transfer case fluid is overdue for changing. All fluids, especially the TC and both diffs, need to be checked on a new purchase.

Do the ebrakes work well and noise-free?

2004tb

Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hey Roadie

Thanks for the reply. It never seems to do it while i am coasting or going downhill. Just seems like it when i am applying gas. It does it in drive 3 also. Mainly in 4th gear or overdrive. Get that damn humming or drone noise. However when i kick down and go uphills it doesn't seem to be there either. It is 4x4. Shifts fine, rides fine, just that damn noise. Thanks for any help here. Yes the e brakes work good.

johnnytutos

Dec 2, 2012
This has been bugging me as well, initially i blew out the front disconnect and had a shop fix it for me, big mistake had to fix it myself and found that the large gear had a deep bearing race in it. Well i went to town on her. changed both differentials, transfer case, transmission flush/filter/fluid, and complete disconnect rebuild thanks to OffroadTB.
Now, off the gas perfect and smooth, its a torque style vibration with the TC lock and unlock in 4th . and oddly is not noticeable during right curves or slow sharp curves and more noticeable during left turns. That humming vibration is the only noise present, no tick from engine, howling, brakes, tranny feels very positive on shifting, If i keep it in 3rd at 60 the vibration is not as noticeable or higher RPM's. Motor mount? Wheel bearing only under acceleration? Driveshaft flopping around under load and not if you yank on it with your hand?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online