Plan to replace H2 heater core hoses

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Plan to replace H2 heater core hoses

The 2 heater hose’s that go to the heater core are cut an looped back onto themselves.

That being said I can only assume the plastic couplers at firewall where leaking or core itself.

I’ve never delt w/ these firewall connectors.

Before I order parts should I cobble together an reconnect the heater core to see if core is leaking?like cores do wear out right?an there a major PITA to replace?

I haven’t managed to get the heated seats working yet. So right now there’s no heat source.

So are these Dorman HVAC Heater Hose Connectors decent? I believe the H2 has rear heat so this appears to be the correct part?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9769688&cc=1434194&pt=6876&jsn=1275

I think the correct size rubber hose is 5/8”? probally 6'.

how’s this look for the quick disconnect tool? Or can I use my fingers to remove?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TWW2TYL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?pd_rd_i=B08TWW2TYL&pd_rd_w=qxeTl&content-id=amzn1.sym.386c274b-4bfe-4421-9052-a1a56db557ab&pf_rd_p=386c274b-4bfe-4421-9052-a1a56db557ab&pf_rd_r=22TFV1EN71PHD8E97K2A&pd_rd_wg=EnccF&pd_rd_r=1fa84531-2612-4f92-ad9a-3a895b6a0abe&s=automotive&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFZSENTQ0NIWTlFUzEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMTY5MDFXVkQ2TzBDT0xLVFUmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDUzMDk2NzI1VEY3U1NSVE02R0kmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

thanks for advice

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those tools are for fuel lines. No tool is required for the heater hose connects. Just squeeze the two tabs with your thumb and finger and pull.

Yeah, would be a good idea to first check for a leak in the core. They do happen. Instead of reconnecting it, maybe find a way to put some air pressure (max 15 psi) and listen for some leaking. Or reconnect the hoses and check for leaking coolant. I can't see why someone would do this except for a leaking core or possibly a temperature actuator stuck on heat.

My bet is a leaking core since it's a bitch of a job to replace. The joke is they put the heater core on a pedestal and build the car around it. 🤣

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Those tools are for fuel lines. No tool is required for the heater hose connects. Just squeeze the two tabs with your thumb and finger and pull.

Yeah, would be a good idea to first check for a leak in the core. They do happen. Instead of reconnecting it, maybe find a way to put some air pressure (max 15 psi) and listen for some leaking. Or reconnect the hoses and check for leaking coolant. I can't see why someone would do this except for a leaking core or possibly a temperature actuator stuck on heat.

My bet is a leaking core since it's a bitch of a job to replace. The joke is they put the heater core on a pedestal and build the car around it. 🤣
amazon says that tool is used for fuel an quick dissconnects.

I have used the sissor type fuel line connect it iirc it's inserted an pushs the inside outward.

I'll try my fingers first. if I'm able to remove these plastic connectors if they where leaking I could probally see a crack in the plastic?
I sure hope the core isn't leaking.
I don't have shop air compressor to test it.

the blower isn't working so I'll be testing the resistor an blower.

then look at the seat heaters there broke to.
thanks mooseman

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
when I tried to remove the heater quick connect fitting the plastic cracked. I clamped a generic piece of hose to between the core and engine. Its been over a year and no problems. Chances are you can do the same, Those plastic parts are failure prone increasingly as they age.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
when I tried to remove the heater quick connect fitting the plastic cracked. I clamped a generic piece of hose to between the core and engine. Its been over a year and no problems. Chances are you can do the same, Those plastic parts are failure prone increasingly as they age.
what vehicle do you have? I was thinking yeah just clamp the rubber heater hose directly to the core at firewall an bypass the plastic junk.

I think GM used this quick crap bc on there trucks it's to tight to get your hands into this space.the H2 has alot more room than the trucks.

I'm thinking won't be keeping the H2 thinking it's more of a off road vehicle, if I thought I'd like it more than currently I'd get the metal quick dissconnects.

I'm confussed what exactly did you do? did you 1st put a small piece of hose directly on core as a spacer that the plastic did then put a larger
hose over this spacer?
or did you just put heat hose on core at firewall.

edit: not planing on driving the H2 til spring. is it acceptable to just drain
the coolant? I believe the H2s radiator doesn't have petcock so oly way to drain is to remove lower rad tube.

lookig though the collant resovior the coolant appears like mud water.
thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
what vehicle do you have? I was thinking yeah just clamp the rubber heater hose directly to the core at firewall an bypass the plastic junk.
Just be careful to not over tighten as that could collapse the aluminum heater core tubing. I would recommend you use two narrow clamps rather than one large one.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I did it on a trailblazer. I think most GM trucks use a similar system. I clamped generic replacement hoses directly to the heater core tubes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online