Patio and Toolroom

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Moved a couple months ago to a duplex my father owns. Went from 1800 sf 3 bedroom 2.5 baths to 900 sf and 1 bath, but got the location we desired and a basement. Wife is happy so I am happy. Gutted the place and redid the inside, plumbing, kitchen, bath, electric, hvac, cabinets, floors, appliances...basically like new, but it was for the wife. Finally on to the part I want/need/enjoy. Started with a 2 car garage and carport. Not big so I had an idea to repupose some old wood and make the carport a toolroom to keep the garage space clear. Fridge, cabinets and work bench.

Best pic I have of the garage/carport before

2012-07-26_19-33-43_802.jpg

Cost basically nothing but time and energay and it now looks like this

2012-09-29_11-31-59_571.jpg

Cut a doorway into the garage

2012-08-23_21-54-57_236.jpg

Workbench and toolboxes...the bench is old house cabinets made of real wood that we beefed up a little and the top is 2x10's.

2012-08-23_21-54-17_381.jpg

2012-08-23_21-54-42_131.jpg

The fridge now sits in front of the bare plywood next to the toolbox.
2012-08-23_21-54-47_164.jpg

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Very nice Hardtrailz! I think it looks great!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Kept thinking I hated the deck and bushes on the back of the house. Well a bit of drinking last Thursday with a couple buddies...one that does concrete...and we decided it was time for deck removal and a new patio.

Before Pic
2012-07-26_19-32-12_311.jpg

Then friday while I was at work they started ripping the deck off and then we pulled all the bushes...

2012-09-29_08-49-55_988.jpg

2012-09-29_08-49-53_716.jpg

2012-09-29_08-50-04_472.jpg

2012-09-29_09-01-23_136.jpg

Bobcats are fun and they make this kinda work easy and fun. Also helps to get it all nice and level and ready for forms.

2012-09-29_12-14-25_377.jpg

2012-09-30_19-47-58_996.jpg

We popped a few sections of old sidewalk out to redo and slode to new patio so we figured...HOBO FIREPIT

2012-09-29_11-30-14_703.jpg

2012-09-30_19-48-05_626.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Hopefully we can form it and pour it tonight if the rain stays away. Will be about 4 foot from the edge of hoouse and be about 14x24. The 4 foot section up to house will get some landscaping stone and the steps will be redone in Trex decking with a 3x10 top platform and one step down. Concrete will be level with existing bottom step. I think it will be a giant improvement.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Damn rain. Looking like maybe Thursday to pour it now. Oh well. For the minimal cost it will be a big improvement.

Prolly gonna require a mini-meet this fall to make sure it is acceptable.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
AWESOME Kyle

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Last night we got it formed up. 24x14 plus the replacement sidewalk. Planning to slope the sidewalk in case of family functions with older family that would do better without any steps. Got some mesh and rebar to toss in and hopefully pour it this evening. Bout 4.75 of concrete. Cant wait.

formed.jpg

formed2.jpg

formed3.jpg

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
looking good.
i see what looks like pvc piping around the stoop.
did you put that in for existing or future electrical or cable that might run thru the back yard ?
are you required to get a permit for that?
around my town you are required to get a permit for just about anything.
i had to pay $30 for a permit to put up an arbor in my yard :crazy:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
fletch09 said:
looking good.
i see what looks like pvc piping around the stoop.
did you put that in for existing or future electrical or cable that might run thru the back yard ?
are you required to get a permit for that?
around my town you are required to get a permit for just about anything.
i had to pay $30 for a permit to put up an arbor in my yard :crazy:

PVC is to run the phone and cable through once I get a couple connectors. I used to work for local tele company and will do it myself once they give me the stuff. Seemed simple to have a place to pull wire, just in case for later as well. From concrete to house will be decorative stone and hide the wirees better. Plus I am rebuilding the steps after the concrete and dont want the lines across top step in my way.

Permit??? In my little town...Nope. The city garage is behind my house. They asked if I needed anything. The city inspector let me do my own curb-cut for my drainage from the gutters when I buried the lines. I thought that would need a permit, but he just asked if I had a concrete saw and knew what I was doing...I said sure and did it. Turned out good.

Moots12

Sep 7, 2012
Haha thank god you don't live in New York City. Trying to do anything without a permit

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I would never live there or in California. It was awful enough living in Indianapoils for a few years. City life is not for me. I work downtown, but commute 65 miles each way rather than put up with the BS and traffic. It is nice in the small-town/country. I can drink beer with the cops, have lunch with the city gov't officials, or keep to myself and not be f'ed with. Locking your doors is optional and no one gets shot even though most every house has a gun in it.

Moots12

Sep 7, 2012
I need to be in a town like that. NYC is horrible horrible I ate lunch next to Bloomberg once.. I mean secret service agents. Hahha because you're not allowed "near" him ever though he is eating with the public ha. The garage and patio form are looking good though!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Kyle, you have the best group of buds. I mean they do gears, lockers, bumpers, armor, landscaping, masonry work, carpentry work.....
Mine just get mad when I can't go fishing with them or when I can't stay all day long.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Moots12 said:
I hope you got a heater for that garage for the winter

Pop out the one window and put in a woodstove with temporary chimney. Should work out good. We wired about 4 boxes on each wall for plenty of electric. Will have 7 or 8 4 foot flouresant lights throughout. Still need to build in some shelving up high for camping stuff, but that can be done in foul weather.

Moots12

Sep 7, 2012
Woodstoves work great man. And the lighting will help heat it up a bit too. Looks great man.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
Kyle, you have the best group of buds. I mean they do gears, lockers, bumpers, armor, landscaping, masonry work, carpentry work.....
Mine just get mad when I can't go fishing with them or when I can't stay all day long.

I am lucky. We all help each other out. We work all day and every evening we work on something for someone for another 4 or 5 hours. We may have some brews, but we get stuff done and have a good time doing it. Typically work about 15-20 hours a weekend as well. It is not bad when you can hang out and BS, make some good food and at the end of the day, say... We built that or We did that or Look what we accomplished.

Friday night, myself, wife and baby, my buddy and his mom and dad, my other buddy and his wife, my dad, and another friend hung out, drank a bit, had pizza and wings...sounds like a party, but we also tore the deck off, removed bushes, played with bobcat and cleaned up some wiring along house.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I am lucky. We all help each other out. We work all day and every evening we work on something for someone for another 4 or 5 hours. We may have some brews, but we get stuff done and have a good time doing it. Typically work about 15-20 hours a weekend as well. It is not bad when you can hang out and BS, make some good food and at the end of the day, say... We built that or We did that or Look what we accomplished.

Friday night, myself, wife and baby, my buddy and his mom and dad, my other buddy and his wife, my dad, and another friend hung out, drank a bit, had pizza and wings...sounds like a party, but we also tore the deck off, removed bushes, played with bobcat and cleaned up some wiring along house.

This weekend is working at my place friday. Sat family day and a buddy's wedding, Sunday is work with Barton and Monday is new brake lines on my dads S-10.

Idle hands are the devils playground.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Sounding like my buddy is gonna be working another concrete pour til late today so I guess it may be tomorrow to do it, but that gives me time to install my PCM, as long as it really does get delivered, and mount my spare 35 on the wheel I got yesterday. Prolly ought to clean out the truck from the last bachelor party I went to. Hard telling whats is gonna be found.

Moots12

Sep 7, 2012
Wish I lived closer. I can't find a good concrete guy by me that isn't a rip off. And I'm getting my own concrete and these guys still want 3-5k

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Moots12 said:
Wish I lived closer. I can't find a good concrete guy by me that isn't a rip off. And I'm getting my own concrete and these guys still want 3-5k

Maybe half that including concrete...

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
His truck is a diesel but at 750 hp and a him having a bit of a lead foot the fuel bill may be a little loud.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
We have concrete...

patio.jpg

patio2.jpg

patio3.jpg

patio5.jpg

patio9.jpg

patio6.jpg

patio8.jpg

patio7.jpg

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Didnt put down stone or anything? just poured it ontop of the dirt?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Base is just to level the ground. We just poured a bit deeper in a couple spots. Has wire mesh and rear in it. My buddy has been pouring concrete and running a crew doing it this way for years without issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online