P0495 code reset worked. Fan clutch on the way out?

candem

Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
NC
2002 TB LS 199k miles.
I was on a 600 mile trip on Wednesday and about halfway I got a SES light. Checked the code using Torque - P0495. Everything seemed to be working okay so I continued the trip. Temp stayed stable and gas mileage was not affected.

Reset the the code once I got home and so far it has not come back although I have only done a few short trips around town. I also checked and was able to stop the fan using a cloth so it is not locked.

Prior to this I did notice that it seemed to be "blowing" more than usual. Actually thought I might have an exhaust issue. This happens mainly when accelerating.

My assumption is that the fan clutch is on the way out? From what I have read, most seem to just fail? From what I have searched and read some people have stated they did not get any codes or at least they replaced the fan clutch before they got any codes.

Is there any way to test this any further?
Anything else I should be checking?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Indicates that it's time for the fan clutch. Use the Hayden clutches. 45 minute or less job and you'll be golden.

Unless your temps are creeping up (thermostat and/or water pump) you should be good with just the clutch.

candem

Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
NC
Thanks Matt. Seems like it is time to replace it plus my water pump.

I have read about using an 08 fan clutch. This my be an opportunity to get a PCM tune which I have been thinking about.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online