P0222 - OBD-II Trouble Code

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
P0222 = Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Low Input.

I pulled/cleaned the throttle body from my 2004 Ranier, 4.2L6.

I now have a P0222 DTC, and reduced engine power situation.
I only have a code reader, not a scanner.

I swapped throttle body with my TrailBlazer, and no change in conditions... indicating the throttle body is ok.

All fuses unde the hood are good.

Maybe a wiring diagram for the throttle body harness could help?

Thank you.
Any input is appreciated.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
This code is related to the Accelerator pedal sensors. You may have a bad connection or a bad sensor. These are potentiometers attached to the gas pedal (drive by wire system), there are two of them.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could try swapping pedals between the two and see if the problem follows or not.

Having two GMT360s makes it easier to do the part swap diagnosis fairly convenient for sure.

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Would be strange if the throttle potentiometer goes bad after cleaning the throttle body, eh?...

disconnected / reconnected pedal... no change.

Yes, having the TrailBlazer available for swap/test is great.... just gotta have it parked long enough to pull the throttle pedal out of it.

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Just realized I might not be able to swap pedals with TBlzr, since Ranier has power-adjustable pedals.
(part numbers are different)

eliminated possibility of faulty throttle body...
other possibilities are:
faulty ground connection, faulty power supply from ecm or faulty ecm... ugh.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
P0222 is Throttle Position Sensor 2 low voltage. Sensor 2 uses 3 wires in the harness connector.. +5 volt ref from PCM LT Blue/Blk wire pin 'B' , Sensor voltage to PCM PPL wire pin 'D' and Sensor low ref (gnd from PCM) Blk/White wire pin 'H'. The DTC P0222 says the voltage on the sensor output pin 'D' is less than 0.3125 volts, conditions are ...key on, +5v ref present in PCM, no PCM DTC's, no 5 volt ref DTC. W/key on engine off I would verify +5v between pins B and H then check voltage between pins D and H . Since you swapped TB sounds like maybe a pin or connector problem.. What year is your Trailblazer we can look it up to verify wiring matches the '04 Ranier.

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
bobdec said:
P0222 is Throttle Position Sensor 2 low voltage. Sensor 2 uses 3 wires in the harness connector.. +5 volt ref from PCM LT Blue/Blk wire pin 'B' , Sensor voltage to PCM PPL wire pin 'D' and Sensor low ref (gnd from PCM) Blk/White wire pin 'H'. The DTC P0222 says the voltage on the sensor output pin 'D' is less than 0.3125 volts, conditions are ...key on, +5v ref present in PCM, no PCM DTC's, no 5 volt ref DTC. W/key on engine off I would verify +5v between pins B and H then check voltage between pins D and H . Since you swapped TB sounds like maybe a pin or connector problem.. What year is your Trailblazer we can look it up to verify wiring matches the '04 Ranier.
That is great info to work with, bobdec... Thank you!

TrailBlazer is a 2005 EXT 4.2L 2WD.

FWIW,
1) the Tbody out of the Ranier is running flawlessly in the TBlzr... and the Ranier now idles well with the TBlzr's Tbody.
2) With Key on, engine off- I can hear the Tbody reposition when I clear the code with my code reader.

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Well, per bobdec's priceless input, I went to check voltage at LT Blue/Blk wire,
and badabing-badabooom, there's my problem... the wire was not making contact with the connector.

I stripped another 1/8" of insulation, pulled back the retainer, tucked the wire well into the connector, and VROOOooooom! All is good.

Attachments

• 0218051147.jpg
    0218051147.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
So uh, that wire just pulled out like that?

I thought they were crimped into a pin like every other connector, not just shoved up in there.

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Mounce said:
So uh, that wire just pulled out like that?

I thought they were crimped into a pin like every other connector, not just shoved up in there.
I hear ya... I was disappointed to find that wire loose, able to pop out of the Delphi connector.

I tugged on the 7 others after I removed the purple retainer,,, none of them popped out.

It appears they are crimped in, not soldered.

I guess the Lt BLue was not crimped tight enough at factory.

There is a rubber retainer around the wire, then the purple retainer holds in all of the rubber retainers.

I tugged on the wire after I "repaired" it... it's snug.

Zero resistance from the wire to the pin... so I guess the connection is good as it can get.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Oh well, called it in my reply to you in the p1400 thread.

Yeah, they're crimped, every connector in your vehicle is crimped, they don't fail often.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online