only getting about 4 qts of oil out on change?

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
2006 I6 Trailblazer

Just for giggles,I always measure how much comes out when I change oil. I know the stated capacity on this thing is 7qts,but the most I've gotten out is just a little over 4qts. this is including what's in the filter (what a pain to get to...) and after leaving the plug out for about an hour. This thing can't be using that much oil...the dipstick looks good when I check it and the pressure gauge is where it should be. weird....or maybe the guy before me only put that much in....

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
sunliner said:
.or maybe the guy before me only put that much in....
Perhaps a fresh oil change, with the correct volume of oil, weekly monitoring of the oil level (comparing to the level read after filling the engine), normal driving and an oil change at the recommended interval is in order

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If the dipstick is reading correctly, it is the wrong dipstick or you're not on level ground when you check it.
Being down 3 quarts would show on the dipstick, but I don't think it would show on the oil pressure gauge.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Being the I6, the oil pressure gauge is not trustworthy, to say the least. The computer is lying to you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online