oil leak, around filter...question

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
My 2006 Trailblazer has been pretty good with no real leaks...until this morning, I pull out of the garage and there's a small puddle on the floor. the area around the pan and what I can see of the engine looks good but it appears to be leaking off the bottom of the oil filter.
Last oil change was mid June,and I replaced the oil pressure sensor in February. I don't see any oil on the top of the filter housing..
On my old Blazer, there were lines that ran to the filter and I had at least one leak over the years. I could not see any such lines on the Trailblazer but I have a hard time contorting myself enough to see around the whole thing.
Any ideas on the possible source of the leak?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had a similar type leak last year. Turned out my oil filter was loose. A quarter turn by hand, and I was good to go. I'd say check that first.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
you're probably right...I never suspect easy stuff first, LoL! thanks

Reactions: Robbabob

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I don't want to come across as talking down to you but we all make mistakes. Did you make sure you had the rubber gasket removed when you did the oil change? It could easily get stuck on the engine when you pull off the filter. I almost had mine get stuck until my dad reminded me to make sure it came off. lol.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
kickass audio said:
I don't want to come across as talking down to you but we all make mistakes. Did you make sure you had the rubber gasket removed when you did the oil change? It could easily get stuck on the engine when you pull off the filter. I almost had mine get stuck until my dad reminded me to make sure it came off. lol.
No problem at all...the only reason that I didn't consider that at first is that it's been a few months since I did the oil change, and it hasn't leaked until last night. Cars do weird things though, plus it's been a lot cooler out lately. I took BlkShdw's advice and hand-tightened it just a little. If it leaks again, I'll replace the filter and be extra careful to check the gasket and mating surfaces. Been doing oil changes a long time and never had a leak but the Trailbazer filter is harder to access than any other vehicle I've owned. Great forum...thanks for the helpA

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I would recommend a nice oil filter socket to get the oil filter on and off of the engine. I have one that has a 1/2" socket input which is totally overkill but I used it to bust an oil filter that the idiots at the nearby dealer cranked on. I had to use a damn breaker bar that I use to bust the nuts that secure my tires on with! There is damn near no room to get in with one of the oil filter wrenches where it has the handle and a metal band that clamps on the filter for you to tighten or loosen. I tried and as soon as I got the band to compress, the handle was stuck and I couldn't get it to break the filter loose.

Don't even think of buying one of those crappy oil filter sockets from advance auto. I tried to use that but the problem with that is the socket for our size oil filter has 2 sizes to it and unfortunately for our size, it is at the bottom of the socket cup so you have NO room to fit the damn ratchet or extension on the socket. What an idiotic design. I love my oil filter socket I bought online where I can use a 1/2" socket extension or a socket to go over the outside of the 1/2" square opening to get the filter off.

Also, did you put oil on the rubber gasket for the filter when you installed it? I have heard of a few people who forgot to do that and it leaks right off the start or can leak down the line.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
yeah...definitely oiled the gasket. I've never used a socket to install a filter, though like you I had to fight the filter off this thing on my first change...whoever put the filter on before me damn near welded the thing on, I think if anything, I either didn't tighten the thing enough (though it didn't leak for months) or more likely...lost some of my oil that I put on the gasket as I shimmied the filter up onto the threads....it's always a treat getting that thing on basically blind.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Oh yeah it is a pain in the ass on our truck. I take the risk and fill up the filter with oil until it gets to the bottom part of where the threads are and then put it up as straight as I can with the whole shield on the bottom of the engine removed and screw it on the stud of the engine. I then fill up the engine and I am on my way. I only get oil on my arm when I remove the filter which I can easily fix and do what my dad taught me of taking a hole punch and punching a hole in the bottom of the filter and letting it drain out then removing the oil filter.

When I first did my own oil change on my envoy it was cranked in so bad from the idiots at the dealer that I swear they used a damn impact gun on it! I had crushed in part of the oil filter just trying to get it out. My dad suggested I take a long screw driver and stab the filter from the bottom to drain the oil first and then stab the side of the filter and use the screw driver as a lever to crack the filter out but I was afraid to not be able to get the filter off and be screwed for getting to work the next day.

You aren't supposed to do what I did with the install and put oil in the filter but I prefer to do that so at least it doesn't take that long for the filter to fill up with oil after I drained the pan out. I also bump start the truck with the drain plug removed so I burp out any oil from the oil pump. I like changing the oil on my jetski so much better than our truck. All I do on that is get the oil warm and stick the siphon tube down the dipstick tube and suck the oil out and removing the filter is a breeze as it is mounted on the top side of the engine so the oil runs out of it when it is off so it doesn't make any mess. The only part that is a pain with my jet ski is I used a crappy harbor freight pump and it absolutely blows on pumping oil whether it is hot or cold but it is good for fluids like antifreeze. I since upgraded to a nice unit that can siphon and dispense fluids except for gasoline and it has a 2 gallon holding tank on it but i digress. lol.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
kickass audio said:

You aren't supposed to do what I did with the install and put oil in the filter...

Why not put oil in the filter?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I have a 3/8 drive (plastic) socket that fits
a PF61 filter. Fill about 2/3 full. Never had
a problem.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Why not put oil in the filter?
I've heard from a few people that if you do that, you are adding a bit more oil than the full capacity of the engine. Granted it is a negligible amount of oil but still, some people said I shouldn't do that. I choose not to listen. lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I also go according to the dipstick.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I usually drain the oil, remove the old filter, fill the new filter about 3/4 and oil the gasket, screw the new filter on, then dump the rest of the bottle and 6 more quarts in the crankcase.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And my challenge is that our containers are in liters, which is 1.06 quarts. So for 7 liters, I get 7.42 quarts so I get about half a liter left after a change, which I keep in the truck for the inevitable top off later on.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
I've heard from a few people that if you do that, you are adding a bit more oil than the full capacity of the engine. Granted it is a negligible amount of oil but still, some people said I shouldn't do that. I choose not to listen. lol.
After you drive your vehical and check your oil later on down the road dont you bring it to the full mark?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
After you drive your vehical and check your oil later on down the road dont you bring it to the full mark?

Honestly, I never add any oil at all between oil changes. Even after it is done, it is always right at the edge of the line to the top of the dipstick. Right before I change the oil, it still is right at the top part of the dipstick mark. The only time I double check the oil level a few times is on my jet ski because I go against the instructions and tilt the engine forward toward the dipstick so I can suck out as much oil as possible for the change. I should be draining 5 quarts of oil but get 5.5 out of it from doing that as opposed to having the engine lay flat when draining.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Normally when I change oil I fill the filter and then pour the rest in. then check the oil and It is where it suppose to be. when I put oil just straight in it is always overfilled but when I let it run a min then shut it off the oil level is where it suppose to be. I have done this to many engines. Tractors, re-lifts, and any other engine with a filter. Some lawn mowers as well.

Toocute350

Oct 17, 2015
U.S.A
I usually drain the oil, remove the old filter, fill the new filter about 3/4 and oil the gasket, screw the new filter on, then dump the rest of the bottle and 6 more quarts in the crankcase.
I would tackle the oil filter first.I find it`s alot easier to remove the filter first,then drain the oil.I used to own a 81 Chevy malibu,with a 350 5.7 liter H.O Gen.1 motor.I would remove the filter first while the engine is still hot.I tried to remove the filter after I drianed the oil, it was alot harder to remove the filter due to temperature change.We all do things differently, just my opinion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online