Oil change question:

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
When changing the oil, is it a wise thing to crank the engine up when the initial drain has slowed, to get the rest of the oil out of the crankcase? I do this on my tractor... but its much less complex.

What if you disconnected all but one or two of the ignition coils and then cranked the engine? Would the injectors spray into the cylinder causing flooding? Or would this be OK to force the rest of the oil out without firing up the engine?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have never heard of this before for an engine and I wouldn't recomment it. As you may know, the majority of engine wear occurs at startup when the oil pressure is low. Doing what you are asking would be even worse.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Bad, Very Bad, this isn't a test for an engine additive where they run the engine with the drain plug out...

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
DenaliHD66 said:
When changing the oil, is it a wise thing to crank the engine up when the initial drain has slowed, to get the rest of the oil out of the crankcase? I do this on my tractor... but its much less complex.

What if you disconnected all but one or two of the ignition coils and then cranked the engine? Would the injectors spray into the cylinder causing flooding? Or would this be OK to force the rest of the oil out without firing up the engine?

The above procedure would DEFINITELY cause unnecessary wear on your bearings, resulting in catastrophic engine failure.

Just let the oil drain until it slows to a a drip, replace the plug and refill with fresh oil.

I'm sure this is also going to result in your tractor dying well before it should.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
TXBlazer said:
The above procedure would DEFINITELY cause unnecessary wear on your bearings, resulting in catastrophic engine failure.

Just let the oil drain until it slows to a a drip, replace the plug and refill with fresh oil.

I'm sure this is also going to result in your tractor dying well before it should.

Noted.

That is my intention for my POS tractor :wink:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
After the drain has slowed to a drip, I usually take a few ounces of some fresh oil I have laying around, add to the crankcase, and let it push anything that may be lying near the drain opening out. I don't need to do this, but have been doing it for years so for no other reason than I think I pushed a tiny bit of crud out is why I do it.

When you restart the engine you have a thin film of residual oil on the bearings, this is all you have until you build pressure. If you crank the motor with no oil then you wipe this protective layer away and it's barely protecting as it is. Definitely not good.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I actually took an allen wrench and a thin cloth and stuck it up inside the oil drain plug to clean out the area inside of there. Lots of gunk buildup on the inside. The cloth was large enough that I could just pull it out and there was no chance of it getting stuck. The pouring fresh oil and let it drain to clear the remaining residue might be a good idea in the future.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
That was a good suggestion about putting some clean oil while draining the drips out. I will probably do that next time.

As for starting the engine with no oil... I don't think it's a good idea. For small engines, yeah, like lawn mowers and pressure washers. My dad and I when ever we empty and pour oil in, we turn the kill switch off and pull slowly on the starter coil just to get the piston moving along with the oil.

On them YouTube videos where they dis/assemble engines, they always use that assembly oil before they crank the engine by hand with a socket to see everything move correctly.

Cranking the engine with no oil with the starter- no good.
Cranking the engine with no oil by hand- maybe?

I don't even know if we can crank it by hand...

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I think next oil change I'm gonna drain the oil, then pour in a fresh 7 quarts of really cheap oil, then let it run for 15 minutes or so, revving the engine up to build up pressure, then drain again to get the rest of the gunk and buildup out and then put in my regular oil.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I just run a quart of motor flush before I drain the oil.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee