Odd ABS Symptoms

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I have a 2004 Rainier 4.2L 2wd. The left front wheel sensor went bad so I replaced it. One of the symptoms was that when you pressed the brake the abs would kick in regardless of speed or pressure on the pedal. That solved the ABS light and that problem. BUT now when coming to a stop or at low speeds, like slowing to go over a speed bump in a parking lot, it does the same thing. You get the vibration in the pedal and a sound best described as a grinding/groaning. Pads are all fine etc.... its definitely the ABS kicking in.... No ABS light this time though. Heard about a ground for the EBCM? or :confused:maybe its the EBCM itself...IDK.....anyone else with this one?:confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I see quite a few have this problem including me. A definite way to solve it permanently is to replace the hub. Not sure if you can get in there to inspect the toner ring but it could be all corroded or cracked.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
Replace the bearings. I just had this on my 05 with 100k

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Bub said:
Replace the bearings. I just had this on my 05 with 100k

I wouldn't replace the hubs just for a minor annoyance like this. I would just wait it out until the hub bearings go out. Could get a lot of miles on them yet.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Took the wheel sensor back out........removed the metal shims that were attached to the hub.....problem solved.....sensor was too far from reluctor
thx..

Deviation

Mar 25, 2012
Tiggerr said:
Took the wheel sensor back out........removed the metal shims that were attached to the hub.....problem solved.....sensor was too far from reluctor
thx..
Which shims did you remove? I've got the same issue after replacing a bad ABS sensor. I pulled the ABS fuse out for now to stop the annoyance.

I used a BWD sensor from Advance Auto. Not sure if the GM version would work better.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Tiggerr said:
sensor was too far from reluctor
thx..

If this was actually the problem then it would have done it since day one. I think your hub bearings have some play. Have you checked it like they show in the video below? If there are a lot of miles on the hub's (>130,000) it might be a good idea to just replace them as preventative maintenance.

[video=youtube;IpdghLj6AhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdghLj6AhE[/video]

Deviation

Mar 25, 2012
CaptainXL said:
If this was actually the problem then it would have done it since day one. I think your hub bearings have some play. Have you checked it like they show in the video below? If there are a lot of miles on the hub's (>130,000) it might be a good idea to just replace them as preventative maintenance.
Good video and I think you're spot on with the shim removal. I think I'll bite the $75 bullet and order the GM sensor. I didn't notice any play when I put things back together.

In my case, the old sensor was literally broken (which flipped on the ABS light) when I replaced the upper and lower ball joints. Either I'm a beast or it was just degraded enough to fall apart.

Deviation

Mar 25, 2012
CaptainXL said:
A Timken hub is $150. I vote to replace the hub. It's not much more. Double the price for total confidence.

Amazon.com: Timken 513188 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive
It seems like all I've done lately is replace suspension and brake parts lately. Ugh. :hissyfit: Almost a new car underneath.

I'll take a look at that. Is there any brands to stay away from? I've got about 120k on it. Should I just replace both?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Deviation said:
It seems like all I've done lately is replace suspension and brake parts lately. Ugh. :hissyfit: Almost a new car underneath.

I'll take a look at that. Is there any brands to stay away from? I've got about 120k on it. Should I just replace both?

A new car underneath is something to be happy about!

If you can spot the change, replace both hubs. Peace of mind.

Stay away from any wheel hub assembly that is not a Timken! I have 120k and my front suspension is due for a makeover. Replacing both with timkens at same time as struts and tie rods, and maybe a bj or 4. Only getting an alignment once!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
A new car underneath is something to be happy about!

If you can spot the change, replace both hubs. Peace of mind.

Stay away from any wheel hub assembly that is not a Timken! I have 120k and my front suspension is due for a makeover. Replacing both with timkens at same time as struts and tie rods, and maybe a bj or 4. Only getting an alignment once!

That's exactly were I am at. Your shopping list matches mine. Every gm truck my Dad and I have owned have been somewhat similar when the time comes to replace those exact key wear parts. However instead of replacing just a few I bought all 4 bj's and waiting for some time off to do those. And yes alignment and a few other reasons are why I am doing it all around the same time.

Deviation

Mar 25, 2012
Just wanted to report back with how I fixed my issue.

I did attempt to remove the metal shim between the sensor and hub. This made the sensor rub the internals of the hub. So it obviously has a purpose. I noticed that the shim didn't sit quite right against the hub. Low an behold there was a buildup of rust where the shim would sit. I plugged the sensor hole with a paper towel and filed the area flat. After that I cleaned up the shim with some steel wool. Re-assembled and TADA! ABS works great.

Just wish I would have seen this the first time I removed everything. Now onto the next issue: front end road noise. *sigh*

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online