No reverse.

Discussion in 'LS2 6.0L V8' started by ChevyTBLover, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ChevyTBLover

ChevyTBLover Well-Known Member

Get in my truck to go on break and I have no reverse. I've got everything else.. drive, 3, 2, & 1. but no reverse. Has anything like this happened to you guys before?:lipsrsealed::hissyfit:

2. The_Roadie

The_Roadie Administrator

Admin Post
    Mileage, maintenance history, and how old is the tranny fluid and did you check the level?

3. Wex

Wex Well-Known Member

When I change my fluid and the level is not high enough, I sometimes lose reverse.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member

Yep, x3 on checking the fluid level, loosing a gear is usually a sign of low fluid.

5. mrphoenix80

mrphoenix80 Well-Known Member

Yep fluid level check first. Then test drive and make sure when in "D" you have 2nd and 4th gear. I have not seen it in a while but the 4L60 has had some hard part failures that cause this. Happened to me in my old s10 jimmy, but I knew it when it did(it made some awsome sounds). However I may have been at WOT.:tongue:

Here's hoping its just the fluid level.:thumbsup:

6. Regulator

Regulator Well-Known Member

No real issue here, just park smarter! :raspberry:

7. seanpooh

seanpooh Well-Known Member

Same here, I was at WOT trying to pass a slower driver and BAM... I never got to pass that car :redface:
    The failure we experienced is the reaction sunshell gear failure. Either the splines get eaten away or the collar of the neck breaks.

EDIT: So I looked at the Service Books and it states that no reverse or slips into reverse;
    [​IMG]

8. mrphoenix80

mrphoenix80 Well-Known Member

For me there was some anger involved. So I left work for lunch rather quickly and when it hit 2nd all you heard was a snap, the engine rev followed by a siren type noise and a thump when it went into 3rd. You should have seen how angry I was then:mad: :rotfl:

9. ErikSS

ErikSS Well-Known Member

Were you doing something stupid? Like maybe power braking in reverse to scare the SOB behind you who was being super rude? I've NEVER lost a transmission because of that. LOL

10. willn513

willn513 Well-Known Member

So what happened?!?

11. ErikSS

ErikSS Well-Known Member

I dont recall what he said I broke inside the transmission. I slowly lost reverse. After breaking multiple performance built transmisions... I went to a 4L80E with a 246 selectable tcase.

12. DDonnie

DDonnie Well-Known Member

Dude, if you break this thing, you're going to need to switch to a tank, lol

13. ErikSS

ErikSS Well-Known Member

I got tired of breakin it. So I built it!

Attached Files:

14. ErikSS

ErikSS Well-Known Member

So whats the verdict with your reverse problem?

15. dDUBb

dDUBb New Member

Common problem.

Reaction Sun Shell is broken / teeth are stripped. Have seen this several times with No reverse / All Forward gears OK.

GM updated part is "hardened" although still prone to breaking.
    The "Beast" Sun shell is also prone to break. Either part is around $50.

Best solution I have found is the Sonnax sun shell with a new style bearing. Cost is about $100, but if youre tearing the trans down anyways, its going to need a good cleaning and might as well spend the $ on a better quality part.

- Dan